Is this mastitis?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I need help! I never touch daisy's udder b/c she doesn't like it. Today we are going to go for a walk, and I touched her udder to see what she would do. One side is limp and normal, the other is swollen a little bit, and when i squirted some liquid out is was clear with white strings in it!! ewwww! when i squirted it out it felt kinda like a beanbag, because the strings were moving around!!! eww! what should I do? she bagged up around oct.24/26th ish. Since I dont milk i didn't notice, and it really doesn't look, any different to the eye!! just you can feel it!
    Thanks

2. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

Will she let you milk it out? You can use hot compresses and bag-A- Balm.
    Is she nursing a kid?
    Liz

3. Caprice Acres

no her babies were separated 3 weeks ago or so, and she bagged up the next days, the 25th or so. I havent checked for it before, because she doesn't like her udder touched and I don't milk. I didn't know that she could get it if she wasn't being milked. You can't tell her udder is swollen by looking at her, otherwise I would have noticed. today I took her for a walk and just out of curiosity i touched her udder to see what a "deflated" udder feels like, and felt that one side was hard!! not near the back, just the teat and a short while after. not hot to the touch, but clear fluid with white chunks come out when you milk her. when you milk her it feels kinda like a beanbag, but with little tiny 'beans". it doesn't seem to hurt her, but she still doesn't like her udder touched, either side. I suppose i could milk her out if i need to...... gonna be a hassle and take about an hour tho....... o well. should i milk her? can I give her pennecillin?

4. Key

Key Well-Known Member

she has masistis & in my humble expereince, my vet had me administer antioboitic to my goat IM along with "Today" and then "Tomorrow" into the affected teat(s). It can potentially reoccur next time she is in milk, and mastitis can kill an animal, so act quickly.

5. Caprice Acres

She is going to see a vet tomorrow. My father is either going to take her if he doesn't work, or he's going to call him over before he leaves for work so the vet can get here after I get home from school. I looked it up, and i think it is "subacute mastitis" , because it doesn't seem to be painful, and it is not hot to the touch. It may be painful, but i can't really tell. she does react strongly to having her udder touched, but she has always done that......

6. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Since you're not going to milk her, you could use Tomorrow to clear it up. You could also give her an injected antibiotic, like LA200.

7. Caprice Acres

what is tomorrow? injectible or goes straight into the teat?

8. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

It goes straight into the teat. It's a sister product to Today, which you would use on a goat that it still milking. You use Tomorrow on one you're drying up. i.e. It should be the last thing that goes in the teat. The idea is it stays in there for a good long time to kill of any bacteria. If you have to milk her out for any reason, you would want to reapply the Tomorrow again. And you have to be REALLY scrupulously clean when you do this.

9. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I would bet this isn't mastitis at all. The smaller shrunken side the kids likely never nursed off of so it dried up weeks ago. The side with the stuff in it is simply drying up, first the fluid milk is absorbed, leaving butterfat and milk solids, if felt in the udder it is like cottage cheese, if milked out of course it comes out like extruded worms, because it is being forced out the teat just like you would when making spegetti with dough. If he udder is not hot, if she is not uncomfortable, I would leave her alone, get her bred for spring kids. Remember that mastitis means mast=breast itis=inflammation of. She is not inflammed, her udder has no fever, she is not ill, it is highly unlikely it is mastitis. Vicki

10. Caprice Acres

well the kids haven't been on her for almost three weeks now. the teat itself and a little behind it is swollen. i can't really tell if it hurts her cuz she always acts like im killing her when i touch her udder. I did look it up and there is a type of mastitis that isn't painful or have a fever, but it still is mastitis. It is called "subacute mastitis". now i am waiting for my vet to call back and say it is ok to bring her out, i left a message.