Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a cute pygmy/lamancha cross hoping-thinking-that she may someday give enough milk to supply our family of 3 with enough milk. Do any of you know if that could really happen or will she give about 2 cups of milk and not be worth the bother other than a pet/weed eater? I was told she would give 3-4 gal. of milk a week???? ANyone know if this cold happen or not? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
She could very well be worth milking by her second freshening at least. Say her Lamancha background gives an estimated gallon of milk a day.....she, being half pygmy, might give around half of that. So, if she is giving 1/2 gallon of milk a day....that would 3 to 3-1/2 gallons a week.....not worth it to someone who wants a lot of milk, but maybe to you. How much milk will you drink a week?
It is also possible that she will not give that much.....but there is certainly a decent chance. Maybe not as a a yearling first freshener, but possibly as a second-freshener.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
It depends on the background of both goats involved. Pygmy goats don't produce a lot of milk, but LaManchas generally do. Pygmy milk is extremely good, too.

I would think you have a good chance of getting an excellent milker. Remember that the pygmy/nubian cross is done purposely for kinders... and nubians aren't known for quantity of milk.

·
Nubian dairy goat breeder
4,465 Posts
if we look at genetic background we know that milk is inherited from the buck and i assume the sire was the pygmy? chance are she will not give huge amounts of milk but if you don't raise the kids from her next year she might have enough milk for your family. btw. is that the only goat you have? they never do really good alone but need at least one companion. :)

donna don't make such statements with lots of nubian breeder on the board. don't you remember were that went when somebody mentioned alpines are known for not having the best tasting milk? :rolleyes: :)

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, her daddy was the pygmy ...and we'd use about 2-3 gal. of milk a week and more if I had it to try some cheeses....so,....maybe I should give her a try. How old should she be before I take her to be bred? thanks all! and oh,....what I'd planned to do was keep the kid on her part time and milk her part time so I would be able to leave without having to have someone come milk her.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
susanne said:
donna don't make such statements with lots of nubian breeder on the board. don't you remember were that went when somebody mentioned alpines are known for not having the best tasting milk? :rolleyes: :)

Hehe! :)

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
She should be at least seven months old -- and well-grown and in good condition -- before you have her bred. Some people wait, and breed their does to kid as two-year-olds, but if they are well-cared-for, they'll keep on growing and do just fine.

Your crossbred doe should give enough milk for your family to drink, but if you can find another one, you'll have the milk you want for making cheese and such. Goats really do need company, anyway.

I have Kinder does, and some are very easy to milk; others aren't. Hopefully yours will be one of the easy to milk kind!

Kathleen

·
Registered
946 Posts
You are also asking if there will be enough milk for your family AND to leave the kids on. Now that is another story. Everyone is saying you should have enough milk but adding kids on will give you alot less.

Also, everyone is asking if you have more then one goat. That will help, keeping them bred at different times so you have continuous milk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts