Is this doe insane?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Leah IL, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

I have a question. One of my does kidded last Sunday. I have had her in a kidding stall with baby for a week now with little trips out to the pasture to graze. She is absolutely freaked out when she's away from the baby and when I bring the baby out to the pasture with her she is worse, bucking and butting everything in sight. Even when there is no threat, she is nervous and barely eats. I have a Great Pyr who is very respectful of her and the baby and keeps her distance. I have kept the dog away from her this first week so that she could bond with the baby and get comfortable, but she has to get used to her sooner or later. My other doe had twins and is fine, the dog doesn't bother her and if she gets annoyed with the dog she lowers her head and the dog hits the deck :) Should I just keep the nervous doe penned up a little longer? Thanks.

2. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Is this her first kids? I would bet she is just very nervous. I would say she is a great mom. She will be fine.

3. barnyardfun

barnyardfun Happy Homemaker Supporter

I have a doe that when she sees us coming she takes her kids and lays them down where she thinks we cant find them! :rolleyes: She is calming down a bit now. I think she will probably get better. She just overly protective.....I know a few human mothers like that! :p

4. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

LOL, I think she's ok now. It was kind of scary watching her buck around like that, but I left her out there with the baby and she settled down finally. Thanks, I appreciate the reassurance.

There should probably be MORE human moms like that :)

5. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

They all seem different to me. I have one that just seems to worry about her kid all the time, and others that after 2 days were leaving their kids in the shed to go lay somewhere else. I have had one that acted kind of paranoid/psychotic, and we finally realized that she had a B vit defficiency. Strangest thing I have ever seen. We are trying to be as hands off as possible, and still have fairly tame kids. We let them kid in the pasture, or where ever they want, and only help when absolutley necessary. This has worked really weel this year for us.

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Sounds like you just have a REALLY good mama there. Glad to hear that she has settled down. By the way, CONGRATS on the baby. Good Luck. Bye.