Is this crazy?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by nandmsmom, May 11, 2006.

1. nandmsmom

nandmsmom Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm still a new gardener, so I'm not sure what I can and can't do. I just found a bunch of potatoes begging to be planted. I have no more space left except around my tomatoes. Would it be insane to plant them there? What do you think?

Heather :help:

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd stick a potato between the tomato plants, but don't tell anyone where you heard it.

3. gypsymama

gypsymama Well-Known Member

Tomatoes and potato do not make good garden partners. The tomatoes make potatos more susceptible to potato blight. If you have a five gallon bucket around, plant potatos in that and plant some petunias. Make a planter.

4. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Put them in containers on your deck.

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

We double plant some things such as radishes right on top the potato rows, or beans in the tomato rows. The reason for the beans was we found that our tomatos are more resistant to wilt if the rain doesn't splash up on the plants from the ground. The beans are left until fall and shelled for dry beans. they also shade out most of the weeds in the tomato row which is tied to cattle panels.

6. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

Whenever I find a bag of potatos laying around gone to seed (admit it. it happens to everyone!) I plant them around the tank or on the runoff in the backyard. That way I dont have to worry about watering them, and if they grow it's like free found food (since its not actually a part of the garden)