Is this Chemical Sensitivity? Or what?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Ark, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

I am not real familiar with CS - but I am wondering what is going on with my 14 year old son.
    For the past year he has HATED to go to town. He says "Town makes me sick." And he truly would feel like crap the whole time we were there, and it would get worse and worse until he was feeling terrible and acting like a monster on the way home.

Last Tuesday when we went, we both noticed that he felt a little better outside than when he was inside any building.
    The grocery store was TERRIBLE, and he couldnt even go down the aisle with the cleaning fluids. Well, even I can smell that stuff! But, all throughout WalMart he was just begging me to get done quick so we could go back outside.

Even here at home, he feels better if he is outside. We pulled all the carpet out of his room and the living room. There are 2 more bedrooms that need to have the carpet removed.

What do yall think?????????????????????????????????????/ :shrug:

2. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Could be. I feel the same way inside a grocery store, and the aisles with cleaning products make me feel like passing out.

3. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    Many people are this way. Our environments are LOADED with chemicals. It is so good that your son recognizes it and can learn to keep his environment clean. He may have trouble with certain occupations because of it.

My son suffered from a toxic chemical exposure when he was 20 years old, working for a concrete foundation company. They were soaking the forms in diesel fuel.

It was horrible. He almost died and suffered mentally. Please be careful with your son.

4. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

I believe he is chemically sensitive. These are some of the same symptoms I suffer from. Those and many more.

Inside a house, any cleaning product with a fragrance is most likely to be a synthetic fragrance. I react strongly to them. Carpet, unless it's new, doesn't get me. Everything in the laundry detergent isle, except 20 Mule Team Borax gets me. This includes shampoo, bath bars, body lotions and anything else that's fragranced with synthetic fragrance.

With more and more energy conservation efforts when building homes, it causes air inside a house or building to be more polluted than outside air. It hurts me when I go into most stores or offices. There's some kind of chemical in new plywood that makes my feet and ankles swell up like ballons.

This condition is called Environmental Illness and isn't generally recognized by the AMA. A lot of doctors will tell a sensitive person it's all in their head. If you have insurance or can afford it, hopefully you can find an enviromental illness doctor in your area to take your son to.

Or, if you prefer, on the internet, you can find a lot of information out about chemical sensitivity and environmental illness and learn what things to avoid.

Below is a link to the the "American Academy of Environmental Medicine." On the main page click on "Find An Environmental Physician". That brings up the page of states. Click on your state.
    http://www.aaem.com/

One of the doctors on that list is Dr. William Rae (pronounced Ray). He has a facility in Dallas. I've been told he's one of the top environmental illness doctors in the nation.

I knew of a young woman that was ready to commit suicide because she was so ill. She went to see Dr. Rae and he helped get her straightened out. He did tests to find out what chemicals she had in her system and proceeded from there to get them out of her system. Last I heard of her, she was doing well enough that she wasn't passing out anymore but still had to be careful of re-exposure.

5. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Thank you all! And thanks FG for the link.

You know.... I havent used a chemical cleaner in over a year, but they are all still sitting right there in the kitchen under the sink, DUH!!

I'm getting those out of there today.

I just use a few drops of tea tree oil in water for cleaning.

FG can you use homemade goat milk soap if it is scented with essential oils?

My son was recently diagnosed with celiac disease and he is off gluten. However, he is NOT getting any better. We are waiting on the results of a blood test to see what other foods he is allergic to, but I feel like something else is going on and dont know what it is!

This kid sleeps with his window cracked open about 3 inches and a fan on NO MATTER WHAT THE WEATHER! He always said he sleeps better when he is cold, but I am wondering if it is the fresh air that helps him sleep better?

6. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

I know what your son is going through. I always have windows open in the house no matter what the weather. I can't even go inside our Costco store and my limit for being in Lowes is about 30 minutes. I start feeling queasy and faint the minute I step inside the door. :shrug:

7. Fla Gal

I've not tried to use any kind of soap with essential oils. I started making my own soap, unfragranced, out of self defense. I've stuck with that for about four years. One thing I have a problem with is the citrus cleaners of any kind. They give me breathing problems. That varies from person to person.

I use it to wash my hair too. I also grate it up to use as laundry soap sometimes. It even subs for doing the dishes when I run out of Seventh Generation Free and Clear dishwashing liquid. It's lye soap made with lard, water and lye. Mitch has made other soaps that contain different oils and because it's unfragranced, it doesn't affect me.

Another thing to watch out for is if a container says the product is unscented, rather than unfragranced, it contains a fragrance and a masking fragrance.

It very well could be the fresh air coming into the room is why your son is more comfortable with the window open. Synthetic fragrances become stronger in heat and a fan dissapates fragrances rather nicely when there's a window open. I no longer have that problem as there have been no fragrances, other than natural, in my house for at least 6 years.

I'd gone to an allergist to be tested and had two batteries of tests. One for inside stuff and one for outside stuff, as the allergist called them. The only thing I tested positive for was "fragrance mix". You might ask his allergist about doing a test for that. Also, I have eustation tube dysfunction. When I'm exposed to synthetic fragrances my right eustation tube swells up first and if the exposure continues, the left tube swells also. It rather painful and makes me grouchy as all get out.

Another thing, one ingredient in cigarette smoke is commonly fragrance (synthetic). If he's sensitive to chemicals, the lingering cigarette smoke on people will bother him. Something else that will help is switch to a free and clear laundry detergent. I believe you can get that in a regular grocery store.

If you do a search on the forums you should come up with several threads on chemical sensitivity. I'm hoping you can find out what's going on with him. If it's chemical sensitivities, I feel his pain

8. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

I get this feeling with Fluorecent lighting.. makes me physically Ill..!! I've had a few times when i have to leave the store and DH has to finish shopping. I hate that feeling but i have to shop !! Course i've had panic attacks in grocery stores too and those aren't much fun.

9. SunsetSonata

SunsetSonata Broken Dreamer Supporter

Petunia... what you described sounds like one of the more common symptoms of lupus... though someone with that kind of photosensitivity would have a much more difficult time in direct sunlight.

10. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

Could he be getting cross contamination gluten? We were going to do GF and the amount of CC and "hidden" gluten is unreal!
    While doing a bit of research on gluten(and other sensitivities) I do recall seeing that chemical sensitivity is one thing that can become common in sensitive folks. I have CS and my 7 year old dd is VERY CS. She gets sick in stores, other folks houses, in the car, in church etc. Mostly it is fragrance that we can tell. It, too is "hidden" everywhere. Outgassing from pressed wood, paint and glues are bad. I think that is why the car is bad.
    We try to stay away from new clothes, shoes...well anything. That "new" rubber/plastic smell is really horrible for her. Most clothes are also doused in the flame retardant chemicals. bad stuff.
    Clean w/ vinegar/water. We make our own laudry soap w/ washing soda/borax/fels naptha. Though we haven't made any in a while.
    Something about the heat in a building makes hers(and mine) worse. We keep our house at a bout 63...but when we spend time in a house that is between 68-78...she feels awful..something about the stuffiness, maybe? I can't stand heat on in the car! Drive my husband crazy!
    From what I have read. Recovering from CS is a matter of setoxing your body of the toxins that are built up in your tissues....there are various ways to do this; the most easy being--don't get around any chemicals(that you can help). I think that a skilled massage therapist may be able to help. Theraputic massage helps to rid the tissues of toxins(just make sure the drink LOTS of water).
    We are very mucha work in progress. We are planning to have the bloodwork done for the major food senstivities(gluten, corn, casien, soy, eggs).

Did he have the whole battery run or just gluten? And is this sudden, or has he always been this way?
    I really hope to find out what is triggering this!

dk's girl

11. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

It may or may not be CS. Hard to say w/o a bunch of tests and a complete checkup by a physician. I too am dealing with a similar situation. I have been on prednisone for almost a year. I should find out the results of the latest blood test after Christmas but it appears that my body is not producing its own cortisol (a function of the adrenal gland). I would wholeheartedly agree with avoiding everything that is known to trigger a problem but I would also hesitate to label it yourself. Start talking with your own doctor and find another if yours doesn't want to see a problem. Good luck! It is a long and difficult road!

12. Fla Gal

Petunia, this site should interest you. This article is about Dr. William Rae and his sensitivities to electro magnetic fields. I can't copy and paste from this site or I would add a bit more information.

From EMF Pollution and Remediation:

Dr. William Rae, a former surgeon from Texas, discovered his own sensitivity to electromagnetic fields while working in the modern operating room.
    http://www.emfpollution.com/drrae

13. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Not to be a wet blanket (I am sensitive to many chemicals) but it could also just be being 14. Outside and away from folks means not feeling those awful feelings 14 yr olds feel about themselves. Just a thought. By the way, do make sure he is not wearing clothes with fabric softener. THAT stuff is rough!

14. wws3wife

wws3wife Member

If I were you, I would do a web-search about MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity). There are different degrees of sensitivity and different triggers for reactions. Beware: many doctors and the CDC officially consider it a mental issue.

I happen to have MCS. I can prove to any of those CDC doubters that my issues are real and very severe. I have been very blessed with a doctor that has done everything he could to work with me to eliminate any physical ailments as causes. I have had MRIs, EEGs, EKGs, and ENGs. All of my tests come back saying that I am hunky-dorey. My doctor finally just told me to consider myself as having MCS. How does he know it's real? Well, turning blue and passing out in front of him and his staff went a long way toward showing them it was sincere. That, and me waking up and being totally unaware of what had happened. Turns out that my particular trigger is fragrance of ANY kind that is added to ANY household or peresonal care product. Big problemo--I can't smell 97% of what is causing my reactions and the reactions are instantaneous and progressive. Add to this the fact that I have a life long contact sensitivity to soaps and lotions and it is clear that for some reason, my body just doesn't cotton to a lot of things.

If I were you, I would start a process of elimination. Go to a healthy food market that also sells personal care products and begin changing brands to things that are "all natural," "organic," or "fragrance free." You can also order some products online or by phone. I have found that Melaleuca has a wonderful basil-based cleaner that I can use and their handwashing dish detergent is safe. They also provide a fragrance free laundry detergent that I can use and a shampoo called "Naturals" that is safe for me. Conditioners for your hair are a dicey thing to find. I finally found "Nature's Gate" and it works so well. Ban makes a fragrance free antiperspirant if you don't mind using that. Otherwise, the health market will offer a wide range of natural deoderants. (Which do not work for me no matter how much I want them to.)

I feel for your son and really hope he's just having some kind of allergic reaction rather than MCS. It is NOT a "fun" way to live. I have been dealing with this for 5 years now and despite the fact that I will be only 36 at the end of next month, I am completely unable to drive. (Too dangerous because I never know when someone in the next car will be a one-person incense offering.) I must shop at odd hours when nobody will be around and I never shop alone. I must go everywhere with my husband in tow, pushing me in a wheelchair as I wear a chemical respirator. He must also lift me out of the chair and into the car. I can't go "visiting" to see other people-sometimes not even family. I can't go to church and I can't go to sporting events or opening day at the movies. (It's either watch a show the last day of showing at the $2 theater or nuthin'. Not bad for the wallet, but no fun if you really want to see a flick.) I am largely forced into a hermited lifestyle. (Without question, my husband is a saint!)

BTW, if you have any questions feel free to ask. I'm not offended by them. I could sit here and write a novel and never touch the areas you may specifically need to hear about.

15. wws3wife

wws3wife Member

Amen about the bad household building supplies! You can add vinyl, fiberboards, particleboards, and formica to that. And latex paint is a doozy! Last, but not least, is upholstery fabric, especially if it has been Scotchgarded.

I got rid of my particleboard computer desk and dug an old solid wood desk out of storage. (It had belonged to dh's great-grandfather back in the '30s.) Not only have I been feeling better--I have more space and more drawers! Then I went to Breath of Light and got a saltrock lamp to put beside my computer. I am breathing much easier now.

I had no idea we had a doctor of environmental medicine so close to me. I will have to look and see if his name is on our insurance as a PPO. I know my doctor would refer me in a NY minute if I asked him to.

I am so glad I was referred to this site by a friend, albeit for other reasons. I have been very alone in my sufferings. People have been kind, but confused and not always helpful. Some are downright mean. I was having a severe and full-blown reaction at an ENT's office and the doctor and his staff flatly refused to allow me to wear my mask, claiming it would interfere with their tests. Baloney. My mask was nowhere near my forehead or ears where they were doing all the testing! My husband was refused to be allowed to care for me even though he was trying very hard to get them to understand that I was incapable of talking to them or answering questions because my ability to speak and comprehend are destroyed when I get sick. The doctor looked me straight in my bleary eyes and told me it was all in my head and I was making it up. (I think I only remember that because I was so shocked to hear it.) Sure, tremors, blue lips, heart murmurs, a drop in blood pressure, stumbling and falling...all reactions to something that I don't even know is there. Yep. That's all in my mind, NOT. My regular doctor was not happy to hear about that and he immediately removed that ENT from his referral list.

16. Becca65

Lupus.. yikes, well this happened alot more in my 20's.. but once in awhile i still notice it when i go into this particular grocery store..

17. Becca65

Thats interesting Fla Gal the symptoms on there, I have almost all of them from time to time.

18. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I'm extremely chemical sensitive also. One thing that hit me badly when my daughter was in school is that she would come home with the smell of perfume on her clothes. I would be feeling pretty decent and the first whiff would make me so irritable (not angry, but nervous) that I could hardly bear it. I would make her put all her clothes into a plastic trash bag and take a bath with shampoo before I could stand to be in the room with her.

19. Fla Gal

Cyng, I've had to make the same request of Mitch after he'd spend quite a while shopping. It took him the longest time to understand his clothes were absorbing the odors from others. Thankfully I didn't have too many plastic bags of his clothes to deal with.

20. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    I have mentioned this before, but I have used Shaklee products for over 30 years now. It makes a huge difference in your home environment. I use NOTHING from the grocery store to clean with, do laundry, wash dishes, shampoos, tooth pastes....NOTHING. www.shaklee.com