Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my Son is wanting me to Farm his 40 Acres or he is going to sell it. He has this Barn, few years ago a Tornado ripped all the Metal off one side.

If we can get the roof on would like to put equipment in there.

He is wanting something for a Fast turn around. He is thinking Elderberries and maybe other Berries. I'm also thinking Honey and Sorghum Molasses.

big rockpile

Attachments

Reactions: libertygirl

·
Premium Member
25,214 Posts
Heck yes its salvageable. It looks square. one roof looks good. Depending on how long the other roofs been off is whether it is salvageable or not,. IF that sides shot, Maybe amish crew can still replace it reasonably. you couldn't build another to replace it, LIKE IT, for $10Gs. Looks like somebodies taken the hay track out of it. Id like to find a barn that size on any place I end up buying in Okla. You don t find them that big and old and open here.
Id build sheds on 3 sides to brace the barn. Id tie the back shed uprights to the frame with heavy cable and clamps, so as to support both the back and front ends. Upi cpi;d put machinery in the sheds, and still put hay in the barn. 40 acres, Theres got to be some hay ground there somewhere.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another picture inside.

big rockpile

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,007 Posts
Looks like it should be, but time is ticking by....

Depends on the structural members, vertical columns and the 2x outer framing, from the pics they look serviceable yet, unless rot has set into the tops of those roof rafters.

Paul

T

·
0 Posts
My Father just sided and roofed a barn in sheet metal for under $2500, if I recall.

Awwww, I cleaned the pictures out of my device. Durnit. The V on it is more squared than usual sheeting, and it was considerably less expensive than the standard metal roofing... If that is something in which you're interested, I can get the name and supplier on Monday when I see him.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
It looks good from the pics, but a handful of pictures can't always tell the whole story.
I would stand back and take a good look at it, is the roofline straight? Are the walls straight or bowing in/out?
If all looks good, inspect all structural pots and beams, if they aren't rotting, then I would say go for it.

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
Ok my Son is wanting me to Farm his 40 Acres or he is going to sell it. He has this Barn, few years ago a Tornado ripped all the Metal off one side.

If we can get the roof on would like to put equipment in there.

He is wanting something for a Fast turn around. He is thinking Elderberries and maybe other Berries. I'm also thinking Honey and Sorghum Molasses.

big rockpile
with asking ONE QUESTION: Is this barn Salvagable? And then start bringing
into the conversation, items that have little relevance from what I'm able to decipher.
It sounds like your son is attempting to either blackmail or guilt-trip you into helping him
keep 'his' farm, by getting YOU to farm the land.....is that the correct interpretation?
If it's HIS land, why should you care whether he decides to sell it off if YOU won't work it for him?
Makes no sense to me and if he's making you do the work on the place, you're not making any dollars or cents!!!
Who gets the money in the end for YOUR doing the farming on HIS place? Will you being 'sharing' any profits? What about the losses?
And who's machinery is going to be stored in the barn, if it can be repaired?

But the real kicker that has me stumped is your final paragraph;
are you talking about what your cash crops are going to be for the farm?
Never heard of anyone planting elderberries for a quick cash crop..... and you
certainly aren't going to get-rich-quick trying to raise bees for honey!!! :hair

If you could "translate" this, it might make understanding BRP 'speak'
a bit more easy for many of us......or at least for me, it would.:bored:

BTW: From the pics, the barn looks good and would probably be worthwhile fixing.
But only those doing the work and paying for materials can make that final determination.

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
The parts shown in the pics looks quite repairable...but as Rambler said....the clock is ticking.

The real question, and no pics, is what it's sitting on, and how that part looks. THAT is the expensive part to replace or repair if it needs it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Oh my, yes. The barn is shot. The land doesn't look good either. Would love to help ya out so I'll take barn and all 40 acres off your hands for say, $1000. lol

As long as the foundation is good. Like FrmBy Bill said, use cables and come-along to square up before replacing any wood and metal. Should have you a nice barn for $3-4K depending on how far you take it.

·
Premium Member
10,406 Posts
Pictures say "yes it's salvageable."; however, it is hands-on and careful viewing of the structural parts that would make that decision if it were mine....and I definately would NOT hold it together with cables!

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
And adding onto questions that copperkid3 didn't ask - if I remember correctly big rock pile - your health isn't the best.

I would have to wonder how you think YOU can farm this place? There isn't going to be any "get rich quick" scheme in farming. I know for a fact that honey is not a get rich quick scheme. Have you ever had any experience with honeybees?

And growing ANY kind of berry - unless you are talking strawberries (which takes a year) - is going to take several years before any income starts coming in.

And before the income starts coming in - you have to buy the plants, plant them, tend them, etc and with any kind of crop growing, you have good years and bad years.

And if my memory serves me correctly, you don't have the best relationship with ANY of your children.

Trying to figure out if you are really that foolish, or just that crazy!

·
Premium Member
25,214 Posts
As I said, build 3 sheds against the 3 sides of it. These sheds should be made with upright poles sunk into the ground at least 4ft. They can be any width useable. The back shed needs to be cabeled to the main timbers at the back to keep it from falling forward. These sheds/renforcements, will force the barn timbers to stay as they were built, not fall to the sides OR forward or backwards.
I wonder why someone would take the hay track out of a still standing barn without removing some of the cross pieces the tin was nailed to.??

·
Registered
286 Posts
What a cool old barn! Sure wish I had one of those on my property to fix.

Seems like livestock...cows or goats, would bring a good return. Nothing is really quick tho, is it?

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK he was going to give me a cut off it.

He was going to plant Blueberries until I told him it would be at least five years before he would see any money back. The Elderberries I came up with I believe can get crop first year. They are starting a New Market for them,just have to cut the Heads off and ship them.

Yes have to buy plants,work ground up,plant irrigate and care for them.

I know work and no my health isn't that good but I know more about farming than him.He is letting me hunt here.

If Iwas him it being right at City Limits I would Subdivide and sell it that way,then buy something else.

big rockpile

·
in memoriam
6,352 Posts
Elderberries...think medicinal ones! Get a business license and start supplying wholesale. As for other berries, I would do some research on the types in highest supply in your locality. It won't be inexpensive to purchase bushes big enough to produce quickly. Right now is the best time to get them on sale!!! I bought 4 year old blueberry bushes for only $10 each, on sale here locally. When I get paid next, I'll be going back to see if there are more perennial berry bushes available.

As for medicinal herbs, I'd research the demand in your area. I found out that I could dry and sell Horsetail. Funny thing? There are thousands out there growing organically... If you have a demand for Comfrey, could grow that. Do a little research, you might be surprised at what you find out. A Chocolatier is paying a farmer I know personally, to grow Chocolate Mint. I am the one who provided her with over 100 plants. If you get licensed, you could also provide local nurseries. I was asked to provide Comfrey Bocking14 to a nursery in my last County. I decided not to, as we decided to move.

I can't comment on the barn, expect to say it looks cool!

As for the rest, big rockpile only asked about the barn and the farm plan. I consider it to be a bit disrespectful to bring in other topics unrelated to his OP.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Christie Acres,
Great comment!
The lack of respect is why this forum is going down hill. I seldom post on Homesteading today and do not read many of the posts.
glenn

1 - 20 of 33 Posts