Is this adequate fencing?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Tau, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Tau

Tau Member

We're looking at buying a 22 acre farm and dream about raising goats out on the pasture.

There are two nice hay fields and three fenced pastures. I took photos when we had the house inspected, and I was hoping someone might weigh in on whether or not this fencing was good enough to hold in goats. It's about 3 feet tall and I forgot to measure how far apart the T bars are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LONGRANGER

LONGRANGER Member

NO NO NO. Read my experience in the post right after yours.

Mike B

3. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

See the high-lited and underlined portion of your question above? :rolleyes:
    This was ALL I needed to read........pictures weren't necessary at that point!
    If you have ever had a Saanan buck in rut and seen him clear a 4 foot rigid fence panel with a foot and a half to spare......then you already know the answer as well. Actually he was like a great Lipizzan stallion clearing the high and mighty hurdle.....did it with grace and ease. :hobbyhors

4. armeda

armeda Well-Known Member

Three feet is not tall enough. Most goat fencing is at least 4 feet tall. I have read in the threads about goats horns getting stuck in fencing and would be interested to have someone recommend what is best to prevent this as we have a little pygmy buck that will have horns. We have similar fencing we are planning to use but the squares are smaller - like 2"x4".
    Six foot cyclone fence seems like overkill but I guess it's not after reading Mike's post. Most people can't afford a fence like that. Also, a friend of mine has six foot fence and says her young buck got out in 2 minutes. He is a bottle baby and really wanted to be with "mom." He is a pygmy. Would a string of electric wire be ok to put along the top to make fencing more secure? Both to keep goats in and predators out?

Armeda

5. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

This fence is useable providing you strand 14 gauge electric wire runs on the inside. You just buy reverse T-post insulators, stretchers, grounding rods, and get on with it...It's not hard!!! I would back up my electric runs with a 50-mile charger to provide plenty of deterrence. Don't be cheap and buy and downgrade you'll be sorry. Total approx. cost for fencing 22 acres--under five hundred dollars. P.S. I need to build your herd buck separate quarters. One last thing, imagine this, most adult dairy goats stand six feet tall when balancing on their back hooves...John

6. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

I totally agree with Topside1....we use electric fencing here. A big difference from country to country though, we dont have predators that prey on our farm animals, the biggest are foxes. And as pointed out huge fences dont even keep them out. If this is your boundary fence then you will need electric there as well. Unless you have a laneway like we do here, the electric is on the inside of the goat paddocks with a laneway around the entire boundary. I find if a buck wants to get out it is usually into the doe paddock not out into the unknown....so if funds are limited concentrate on your actual goat paddocks.

7. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

I've had two jumpers, but they only jumped the fence to get to the other goats. The first one was solved by adding electric wire and the second has been with the rest of herd with no reason to jump the fence. Three of my 5 pastures have the electric added and I plan to put it up in the others too.
    I'd remove the barbed wire strand from the top and replace with electric and add a second strand about 14" from the ground.
    Now my buck has his own pen which is taller and reinforced.

8. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I agree with adding the electric wire. Id run at least one around the bottom on the outside to prevent diggers, and one or two at the top to discourage jumpers. You may even want to run one or 2 inside to keep them from putting their heads through, depending on the size of your goats. One on the inside about 6-8 inches up and standing out a few inches from the fence should stop the temptation to put their heads through. This site will give you some good ideas: http://www.ibiblio.org/farming-connection/links/fencebld.htm