Is this a weasel?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by farmy, Sep 15, 2004.

1. farmy

farmy Well-Known Member

Found two poor little barn kittens dead yesterday morning, with bites on their necks but no other wounds. A couple weeks ago, something killed six of my young turkeys, and a broody hen with her chicks. Again, bites on the neck, with the punctures about an inch apart. With some of the birds, the organs were eaten, but most of them were intact. Is this a weasel? Whatever it is, how do I do to get rid of it?

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Sounds like it very well could be a weasel. They can get through any hole a mouse can get through, so it is hard to keep them out. Probably the only way to get rid of them is by trapping, but you'll have to get help from someone with experience on that. Or you could sit out there with a gun and wait for it and hope you don't miss when you shoot. Trapping is easier and more certain.

Kathleen in Oregon (who lost twenty some odd chicks to a weasel in one night several years ago)

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

......................A rival Tomcat will KILL the Offspring of his "other" to induce the female to mate with him, ......fordy... :eek: :)

4. GRHE

GRHE Mountain Ogre

Weasels and some of their kin are indeed known for acts like this, the true animal vampires out there. They go for the neck or throat and drink the blood. Sometimes it is actually hard to find the wound.

5. farmy

farmy Well-Known Member

Vampire was my first thought when I found them! It's creepy. Fordy, all our adult cats are fixed (someone dropped these kittens off here) so it's not a rival tom. Seems like catching this varmint is going to be a challenge. When it was killing poultry, it only came once a week. I don't know if I can stand that many sleepless nights sitting out there with a gun. And trapping -- how the heck do you trap the bad guy without getting a cat or a chicken? Nothing's simple in this farm business, huh? Would a livestock guardian dog protect against a weasel?

6. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

It sure sounds like a weasel. We had one come in and kill 4 of our hens earlier this summer. I bated a trap with everything I could think of, and coundn't catch the darn thing. A trapper told me that you can buy weasel bait from places that specialize in hunting gear, like Cabelas. He said that was the only way he had any luck catching them. Good luck!