Is this a sign of something?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Melissa, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Melissa

Melissa member

I feel like I am so far behind on the Christmas thing and I don't even mind. I haven't baked a cookie, wrapped a gift, dug out my Christmas cd's, and I have a completely good attitude about it. At this point I figure whatever happens, happens. I am very relaxed about the entire thing! Maybe it means I am finally becoming a grown-up...

2. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

No Melissa, it's because you must have your priorities right. You might have discovered that Christmas is about God and family and love. All the other stuff is sugar coating.

Relax and enjoy.......

3. hunter gatherer

hunter gatherer Well-Known Member

We take more of the "12 Days of Christmas" approach around here.

It isn't until AFTER the "big day", that we start really getting in the swing of things. It's so more more enjoyable because that's when the kids are out of school and can be more involved. This is the time that we do our special holiday baking and pass along goodies to friends and neighbors. We cut paper snowflakes for the windows that stay up until spring. I always send out holiday cards after the New Year. There have been years that we haven't sent boxes to out of town relatives until after the 25th. When my kids panicked, I just reminded them that there are 12 days of Christmas!

I find that I am much more relaxed about the holidays knowing that there's not this expectation to get all this stuff done before the 25th.

4. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I think relaxed is a good thing. I use to make myself crazy trying to make the "perfect" Christmas for everyone in the family. My house had to be just so, I handmade my Christmas cards, baked cookies for all the neighbors and was miserably tired and out of touch spiritually by the time it was done. Each year I have become more relaxed about the whole thing and just do what I enjoy doing while keeping the true meaning of Christmas my focal point.

5. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I am with you Melissa,letting it all go.Have the cd,s out,a few decorations.Will do the baking thurs or friday.Looking forward to the dinner at church wed nite and candlelight service on sunday nite.Christmas dinner at moms.That is enough!

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

There's a popular saying about not sweating the small stuff. And nearly everyone considers it a good idea. What it doesn't explain, is how to decide what is small stuff. When you can mellow out enough to do what nessesary, and call the rest small stuff, the pressure and stress drops.

7. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

I think you have finally broken away from the Christmas hype. All the TV ads and "news" make you feel like you have to be out there loading up on this and that. When you realize they are just trying to drum up more business then you can sit back and say I don't have to do that!

8. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

That's it exactly! I used to feel stressed hearing..." only X number of shopping days left", everyone else around me in overdrive, the feeling that everything has to be just so...It feels really good this year to say...oh the heck with it...it will be what it will be...when a Christmas card is enough and can make you smile...or a simple song on the radio...then I think you have come to undertand the true meaning of Christmas... It's not the consumerism, it's not the pressure to do this or that...it is simply to feel the spirit of Christmas within...that's enough. :) Merry Christmas to all.

9. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Same here Melissa.

Since Christmases seem to come around much sooner than they used to :) I'm at the point where I'm really not ready to start with it all again. The boxes of decorations from last year were still sitting on the floor in the spare room waiting to be put in the attic! How sad is that?!

This year I put the word out that I wasn't sending any cards. (most of them go overseas. It was costing a fortune!) Friends we usually exchange gifts with asked that we don't get them anything this year. They're simplifying too!

We put the tree up, bought for our son and the family member's who's name we drew and that's it. Oh, I got something for the mail man. He risks his neck getting the mail out to us no mattter how bad the road is. And a small gift for the farrier.

Ken's home safe and out of the service. Our son's growing into a fine young man, we have the beautiful farm that we saved so long for and enough 'stuff' to last us a life time. What more could we ask for?

I just want to sit back by the woodstove and enjoy it all stress free.

Pauline

10. jehoshaphat

jehoshaphat Well-Known Member

Hunter-gatherer I like the way you handle holidays! I think I have been shifting into something like thgis myself & didn't quite know how to express it. I am going slower this yr. No cards sent. I think I may write a note to send after the 1st expressing my hopes, dreams & wishes for the receipients. I've been telling eberyone that because we celebrate Christmas as the day to thank God for the gift ogf Jesus that it is only fitting to honor it everyday not just Dec 25. I have Christmas in my heart! If we only celebrate the giood things on one day then we miss the journey. We should enjoy all the preparations involved in the celebration! If we aren't then we can give ourselves permission to slow down, eliminate those things we don't enjoy (when possible), and truly be a focused participant in the celebration! Hope everyone chooses to keep their heart in right attitude this season and beyond! Enjoy the momnets for what they represent. They cannot be brought back, returned or exchanged but are a limited resource that should be cherished, remembered, savoured & lingered over. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all! Patti

11. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    No cookies..no CDS ..... no wrapped presents :rolleyes: I think the REAL MELISSA has been snatched by ALIENS. Someone in OHIO go check her for odd marks or crop circles in the yard. We may need an intervention here. You guys are all in denial. Encouraging her laissez faire attitude is just a sneaky way to make the rest of you slackers look good. tsk tsk....Get moving Melissa. Ive already made Christmas quilts for everyone on my block and I will finish up mailing out the Home Dried Christmas dinners for our troops sometime tomorrow. Gotta go the oven timer just went off.....the last of the cream puffs are done for my lifesize replica of the national xmas tree. :p :rolleyes: Now if I can just find an old rake to make the spun sugar, I can stop for a bit of lunch. :angel:

12. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

:rotfl: thanks FolioMark!

13. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I couldnt have said it better. Im pretty relaxed this year. My mother is running around like crazy buying groceries, asking us what we want for christmas dinner. I tell her lets make a meat loaf from whats in the freezer, and we can sit around playing board games christmas day. She looked at me like I had a third eye growing from my forehead.

14. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

It might be a sign that you're on the internet too much. (HA! HA! LOL! Hee! Hee! I'm bad!) :dance:

P.S. I should talk!

15. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

We bought a plastic tree a couple of years ago so that we could put it up early and never worry about watering it or needles falling off (seems to deter the cat from climing as well!) But the entire family was grumbling about my lack of desire to get it up this year; we finally put it up this past weekend. I think, though, that CF hit the nail on the head as to why things aren't getting done around my house :rolleyes:

16. Melissa

Melissa member

Mark, I have made two quilts, hosted a family party for 50 people for Christmas, hosted Thanksgiving dinner and I have all of my shopping done! Does that count???

As far as the CD's, we have a station that plays all Christmas music all the time, so I have been lazy, but do want to get out some favorite CD's. The girls and I are baking this week since they are off school, and I plan to wrap Thursday night when they all go to Grandma's house.

Cabin, yes I am on the internet too much!

17. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Melissa: It only counts if you did all that back in April in the lull between Easter and Memorial Day. :p And no excuses about being busy planting the garden. :rolleyes:

18. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

Melissa your so relaxed because I have been doing everything in your place. making candy, baking cookies, running errands, shopping, going to parties, coming up with presents for people I didn't know I needed presents for. Hunting for the Christmas cd's, and boy am I having a great time doing it. :)

19. Christine in OK

Christine in OK Well-Known Member Supporter

Whoo, everybody step awaaay from the Mark - lightning is about to strike!!

Or else God is too busy laughing!!

20. Rxnwl

Rxnwl Well-Known Member

Melissa, maybe its because you are getting older HA HA. The older I get the less I want to do all the Christmas hoopla. When the kids were little and I was a SAHM, I did all the stuff from Thanksgiving to Christmas and loved it. Now the kids are grown, my husband is gone,its just me and my sister. i work full time and dont have the umpf or desire to do it all like I used to. We have a tree and we will have a small dinner togother and thats about it.