Is this a good weight?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by ONThorsegirl, Jun 4, 2005.

1. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

Is 45lbs a good 50 day weight. Just wondering how that averaged with everyone elses, this is a Cheviot Cross lamb. And also for those of us who don't have a proper set of livestock scales how to you all weigh your lambs? This lamb only wighed 4 lbs when born.

Thanks, Melissa

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I just posted my lambs weight on Punksheep's thread, but will again for comarison. I had twins that we didn't weigh at birth, but at 5 weeks the smaller of the two was 42 lbs. Two weeks later he was 53 lbs. Based on my limited knowledge (and the little help from a neighborly sheep lady) I'm quite pleased with this.

I'd say your lamb is gaining great for that birth weight! Our tiny lamb was just under 4 lbs at birth and is nowhere near what your lamb is weight wise (although, to be fair, his mamma and grandma are shetland sized Romneys, so I don't expect he'll ever get big.)

3. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

I don't know about your breed of sheep but I would say going from 4 pounds at birth to its current weight, that is excellent!

That's an .82 pound per day gain!!! Whoo Hoo!

That's about what mine gained per day. They're Katahdins and such hungry little ones!