Is this a good price for a milk cow?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by r.h. in okla., Mar 9, 2005.

1. Ad says. Red and white cow with calf by its side. 4 years old. Very Gentile. Gives 4-5 gallons of milk everyday. Recently freshened. $1000.

2. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

So, I take it this isn't a Jewish cow? :haha:

Seriously though ... hard to say without seeing the cow and asking some questions.

What's the breed? Is it a red-and-white Holstein? Or some kind of crossbreed? Does that price include the calf at its side, and if so, is it a bull or heifer calf? Will the cow pass a TB test? What about brucellosis and Johne's? How easily can she be hand-milked? Gentle is good, but if she's got 'cherry' teats, or really tight ones, hand-milking will be a real chore! Why are the owners selling? Etc.

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Sounds good to me. If it doesn't work out, that cow/calf pair will at least bring that at the auction. The last calf we sold was about 500 lbs and brought $1.29 /lb. Even older animals are bringing more than they have in decades. If the pair is not ill or obviously duds, I would buy them. Then sell the calf if it's a bull. If I was looking for a milker, I would have the owner demonstrate his/her milking technique to me first. Does the cow need tieing down and hobbling? Or will she just stand there and let you milk. And like the other poster said, how does her udder look and feel. But dollar wise, the price is fine. If she is real gentle that is worth something.

4. Jim in MO

Jim in MO Well-Known Member

Considering what I'm seeing culls going for around here. The best deal I've seen lately was JerseyGurl selling a young Jersey who is due around August I believe that was bred to an Angus. But I just can't come up with the money right now. Everything else I've been finding is nothing but culls. I'm beating my head against the wall trying to find a few Dairy Shorthorns for a friend up north for a reasonable price and I'm not having much luck yet. I'm hoping that when Spring gets in full bloom and the claves start coming that I get a better price on a few heifers. But with the price of milk being as high as it is right now the dairies are keeping what they have unless they are really in poor shape.

So I right now now unless she's a total dud that's a fair price.

Jim in MO

5. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

Thanks jim. she is still here. One lady could not make it, and other wanted a younger one. yes good price if she milks and is health id look up on one of the breeds sites to get and idea what she was http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/

6. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

if he lets you milk her in the morning or lets you watch him milk her and she gives that much........i would think thats a great price.........even if she is a cross with three legs and one eye...whats good for a hand milked cow only thing if she will breed back or is breed by a vet check

7. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

A dealer just offered someone I know $1000 each for a pen full of 400-500# Holstein heifers! So, yeah, unless the cow has real problems it sounds like a good deal.

Jennifer