Is this a good book for someone looking to start working with herbs?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by CountryGoalie, Jun 20, 2006.

1. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

Hello, everyone!

I am just starting to inch my way into better nutrition and healthcare, and aside from looking to start soaps this summer, I am starting to look into herbs, as I have begun drinking green tea and would love to start making my own blends. Also, I know that herbs can be used in certain soaps, and for many other uses.

I came across the book Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal, and I was wondering if any of you had any opinions on its usefulness for someone who is beginning to research herbs and their uses, as well as plan a garden? Is there a different book that you would recommend in its stead?

Thanks muchly for your advice!

2. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Good for you! I hope you find that you can use the herbs in LOTS of everyday things! I've not seen the book that you mentioned but these 2 are my favorites: Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of herbs and Growing 101 Herbs that Heal by Tammi Hartung. The latter book has beautiful colored pictures to help you identify the herbs.

3. InHisName

InHisName Well-Known Member Supporter

check out the books availible from bulkherbstore.com I have 3 of them and they are great! the abc herbal - making herbal preparations for kids, nutritional herbology- and another one, forgot the name, that is indespensible. Try san francisco herb co for bulk herbs- great prices!

4. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Go to the library and check out anything they have -- and get books through the interlibrary loan service to read them first before you buy any.