Is this a deal?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by dcross, Nov 21, 2006.

1. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

2. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

If it is operational, it it a heck of a deal

3. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

I would check consumer reports for a rating, and also with the manufacturer to see if there is any kind of life time warranty. I know those things sell for astronomical prices, but no point buying it if the performance is just OK and any replacement part is going to cost you a fortune.

4. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

5. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

Ask the seller before you bid if they will allow pick-up. They aren't requied to let you pick up. And if they use paypal, they need proof of shipping for seller protection - which they won't have if you pick up.

They may let you - just be sure before you bid, if that will make or break the deal.

6. countrydreamn

countrydreamn Well-Known Member

If it works it would be a great deal. I would have to guess that it weighs close to 50lbs. I don't have a scale, or I would check for you.

Debi

7. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

ASK if you can pick it up, do NOT assume that since it's close you can walk in and pick it up.

8. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

I have found alot of top name vacume cleaners in thrift shops for 15.00 on up. Plug them in and make sure they run. Check the electric cord to make sure its not frayed which is one reason why someone may donate their old vac anyway. Of course that can be fixed. Looks like a nice vac.

9. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Yep good deal I guess.But im wondering how they compare to all the new vacuums? Im thinking there pretty out dated as far as performance now days.
    A friend of ours tried selling them one time (long ago).She talked us into letting her practice her sells pitches on us.And though it did a fantastic job compared to the vacuums of the day.We just couldn't get past the sticker shock to actually buy one.
    We later bought a used one at a yard sell for 50 bucks.(They sell for that price around here all the time.)
    But as mentioned they weigh a ton.Even being self propelled there still very heavy feeling.
    Thinking id just asum buy a regular one on clearance from K-mart.Why K-mart, because for a $1 or $2 you can put a warranty on it. How good is there warranty you ask? Good enough for them to mail us a check when the cord burnt up on the one we bought from there.I fixed the cord end when i got home from work that day and had the wife call to tell the warranty department. But they said it didn't mater they would send the check anyway.And they did! Kept the vacuum and the check. :D

10. Indrananda

Indrananda Member

As a professional cleaner, I can say with quite a bit of certainty, I would not wish a Kirby on anyone. They weigh A TON!!! And the rigamaroll to get the attachments for using the hose and such is just too time consuming. Forget about it if you have:
    1- Stairs. Ugh
    2- Non-carpeted floors. It's just too much to do to change out the attachments if you use it with any sort of regularity.
    One of the reasons they last so long, IMO, is no-one ever uses them! I can't count the number of our 100's of clients who stopped using them and hired us instead. They weigh far too much for regular use unless you're a hulk of a person looking for another workout.
    Indy

11. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

these are fantasitci built like brick outhouses sweepers, and yes thats a good deal.

do not buy one from kerby. they are thieves and criminals. my 71 yr old mom told them NO I cant afford it, and he said "I will work it so you can", dropped a 1500 buck sweeper on her door and started sending her bills for 30 bucks a month... good deal she figured...

not thinking.... where was athe paperwork.
    well she missed on payment an we found out... the local kerby office forged her signature on a 5 yr note for 1500 +interest. shes has to hire a lawyer and all kinda crap. the sig they said is hers isnt even a close match a left handed person signed it.

anyhow... I will end up ebaying off her sweeper to.
    but yes, this is a good deal for a very well made sweeper.
    the drawback is kirby sweeper bags are about 6 bucks EACH.

unless you can get them elsewhere cheaper... we cant.

12. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter