Is this a deal?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by BasicLiving, Oct 15, 2006.

1. BasicLiving

BasicLiving Well-Known Member

My husband and I know someone who is selling 6 hives and some other stuff with it. We're interested in starting with some bees. We currently live in town, but have 65 acres we have a home on and spend weekends there. We're hoping to sell our home and town and get out to our homestead soon, but right now we're only there on the weekends.

They guy we know selling the hives assures us they won't need daily upkeep and weekends are fine. Do y'all think this is true? Also, here is a list of what he said comes with the deal and how much he'll charge. Does this sound reasonable?

Six healthy sized bee colonies. (25,000-30,000 Russian bees each)

18 deep brood boxes

180 deep frames with built up foundation

32 medium supers for surplus honey

300 medium frames with built up foundation

Four-frame hand crank extractor. (I extracted 30 supers one summer with it. 600lbs of honey)

Electric capping knife.

1 case 5lb jugs w/lids

1 case 2lb jars w/lids

1 case 1 lb jars w/lids

Various spare parts I collected over the years like frames and foundation, smokers, hive tool, honey labels, 5 gal. Honey buckets, bottom boards, top boards, inner covers,(enough for nine complete hives).

Bee helmet with veil.

Bee suit and gloves.

Estimated cost new is hard to say.

A three pound package of bees with a queen is at least $75 with S&H. These colonies are easily six to eight pounders.

The extractor is over $300 new

The frames at $2 each is close to $1000

The hive bodies would run about $500 new.

I easily have $3000 invested but today is your lucky day and you can take it all for the special price of $1000.

If you get them around the end of Nov. When they are not as active would be good.

2. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd snap it up, and I have a two car garage full of empty hives:)

Going into the hives weekly is MORE than enough.

Find out what he's been doing for mites and AFB. Mite treatments can build up in the wax, but with russians I would hope he's not treating. Find out if the bees have been looked at by an inspector.

3. BasicLiving

BasicLiving Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'll ask about the mites - I seem to recall he mentioned that they needed to be treated for them from time to time. I'll get the details from him.

I rather doubt the inspector has been there - but I'm not sure. He seemed to do this as a personal hobby and has had them for several years. I'll ask though.

Thanks again!