Is this a big udder?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by kesoaps, Jun 18, 2006.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it is...

[​IMG]

This is a yearling, and her first lambing. She's getting huge, and I'm not seeing the babies dropping yet. Must be plural, because she's soooo wide! And all that milk... My calendar doesn't have her due until the 23rd. I think she's just going to pop. I swear she's as big as Dolly was, and Dolly's seven! None of my other girls have looked this way...

All I dream about is soap and cheese... :rolleyes:

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Ample? Productive? Bountiful??? Still asleep, my brain's not fully capable of conjuring up adjectives. I dreamt about building stairs myself, ....stairs for my wife's trailer, wool crafts studio.

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Most of my sheep don't bag up until just before dropping. A couple of others bag up early and every morning you check for lambs-- for like a month.

4. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    My girls usually start with small udders a month before they go and then it's anywhere from the next day to an hour after lambing that they get huge. A direct indicator is to watch the acctual teats when they fill up put her in a lambing jug because she'll lamb within 24 hours.

5. kesoaps

Well, we had twins yesterday! She waited until we'd left the house, naturally. Mamma and babies are doing well. We've got a white spotted ram lamb who feels like he may end up with horns (or scurs at the very least), and a moorit ewe.

So that brings the total for the year to four rams, three ewes. I thought the other romney had been bred, but she's showing no real signs other than getting fat.

6. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    I think it is an unspoken sheep rule to never let their sheperd see them give birth. Other people fine, but not the one that spent the majority of their year making sure that baby would be ok. Good sounds like you've got a good ratio of ewe lambs to ram lambs. Out of 7 lambs I only got one girl, this year. But it's acctualy works out because I wasn't going to keep a replacment this year unless something fantastic hit the ground.

7. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

Let's not play favorites here, where are their pictures ??

8. kesoaps

At the moment, on the camera! But never fear...I've taken plenty :p