Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Saw someone put cups in their incubator to make for easier clean up......will this mess up temps or humidity inside? Also do I adjust temperature at all or just increase humidity?? I am at day 18. Thanks for any and all advice.
ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1414463717.993706.jpg

L

·
0 Posts
I don't use cups, I use sponges. Let me see if I can go get a quick pic, BRB.

L

·
0 Posts
It's kind of dark back there in the corner of the mudroom, but this dry sponge is currently being used as a spacer to keep the eggs upright.

At lock down, I put a row of upright wet sponges against the back edge, holding them in place with a rail. Of course, I also keep water in the wells throughout incubation and lock down.

Attachments

L

·
0 Posts
Wait, are you putting eggs in the cups, not water? I line the tray with paper towels.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ladycat! Do you leave the spacers in when your hatching or take them out and lay eggs down? Probably a stupid question but I don't know a single person who has hatched eggs before so have had to garner the majority of my information online.

L

·
0 Posts
Thanks ladycat! Do you leave the spacers in when your hatching or take them out and lay eggs down? Probably a stupid question but I don't know a single person who has hatched eggs before so have had to garner the majority of my information online.
I take the rails out during lockdown. I only use rails for holding sponges at the back.

When the current batch of eggs go into lockdown in about 8 days, I'll take pics to show how I do it all.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would be great. I took them out of the cups and just laid them on the bottom. These were shipped eggs I received 14 but when candled at 10 days only 3 were progressing as normal. The other 11 were clear and when cracked open looked just like a grocery store egg...does this mean they were not ever fertilized or could it be something I did wrong?

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
I don't believe the cups are a good idea myself. The chicks roll around a bit when hatching and the cups would prevent that. I'm not sure how that would inhibit a chick from coming out of the egg. I wouldn't use cups.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts