Is there such a thing as an 'adequate' amount of gravy?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by moopups, Jan 21, 2007.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I ask this as I dip the spoon into at least 1 and 1/2 inches of gravy to get to the mashed potatoes. It was a panic hypoglycemic meal, I had about 60 second to come up with something.

The plastic (instant) potatoes were in the cast iron pot, the Argentine pre cooked roast beef (with its own gravy, half the tin), was in a stainless steel pot, they merged in record time due to switching the pots when the first boiled. The left side of the buffet counter top heat unit (hot plate) is a slow soft heat delivery unit, the right side is a much stronger heat delivery unit.

I am spooning it between key contact with this keyboard. The potatoes are mostly gone now, only the gravy and a couple of chunks of the beef remain, soon to be gone out of sight. I threw in a half of a packet of gravy powder mix and a bit of water, my tongue is elated right now.

There should be a gravy law, too much is almost enough would be the theme in my opinion!

2. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

We have a family saying "at our house, gravy is a beverage!"

:)

3. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

The more the merrier...for biscuits. :) :p You're making me hungry. :icecream:

4. Beaners

Beaners Incubator Addict

I have more trouble MAKING enough gravy. I think I made close to a gallon from scratch for thanksgiving, but it was gone way before everything else. So to those of you that love your gravy...don't forget to leave enough that the cook can have some once they finish setting out all the dishes.

Nothing will make me grumpier than finding all my delicious gravy is gone and all I got to eat of it was when I was cooking it in the kitchen!!

Kayleigh

5. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

...mmmmmmmmmmm..........gravy......

What an odd word, when you say it over and over again... 'gravy, gravy, gravy, gravy'.... it even starts to look like an odd word. But it's excellent. I wonder how it was first discovered? My favorite is turkey gravy, the way my mother makes it. I can't quite make it as good as hers. MMMmmmm......

6. Wildcrofthollow

Wildcrofthollow Well-Known Member

depends on how good the gravy is.

if the gravy is good, then there are only inadequate amounts of it.

7. MawKettle

MawKettle What can I screw up 2day?

Moopups - gravy is manna from G-d.......

Every Thanksgiving that I have cooked for my family (since my mom retired from this duty when she figured out that I was (a) willing to take it on and (b) made a moister turkey than she does...) I have been assailed with the comment:

"why isn't there MORE gravy????"

I have since learned to make a triple batch on T-day.........

Long live gravy....and mashed potatoes.........

8. chickenmommy

chickenmommy nosey, but disinterested Supporter

You should make your plate first, then take the dishes out. With a generous enough amount of dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy that you already have your second helping.

9. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Mitch: GRAVY stands for GRAVEYARD. But when it's made right, its the way to go.
    Theres a little local liars club that serves homemade biscuits with sausage gravy that you can stack. Because I also tip the cook, my platter shows up with about 2 torn up patties mixed into the already scrumpdicious puddin thick elixer that smoothers those tasty biscuits. I know there are things better than their biscuits and gravy, but its not something I eat.

10. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

No.
    No, there really isn't.
    There's either not quite enough, or too much.
    And if there's too much, you just throw the remainder into the rest of the smashed 'tates and put them in the fridge for later. :)

11. Beaners

Beaners Incubator Addict

You may have just saved my entire family from a whole lot of grief next holiday. I think I'm usually too busy making sure I haven't burned this or that and getting everything out around the same time to have come up with this. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! (Hmmm, now how to hide my plate from everyone trying to scavenge food from the kitchen....)

Kayleigh

12. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Mitch, that's like asking if there's such a thing as enough garlic!! The answer will always be a resounding NO!!! Gravy is so special that it even has it's own dish, for pete's sake! It is mandatory for the potatoes to completely hide beneath the gravy, giving the impression that there really are no potatoes there-just gravy. Then, just in case, pour a little more gravy on there please!!!!!!!!!!

13. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

You folks are grossing me out! Gravy is yucky. I prefer my food plain and dry...turkey so dry that it makes my teeth squeek.

14. Cashs Cowgirl

Cashs Cowgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

YUCK! :p Bring on the gravy!