Is there such a criter?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by rwt, Jun 24, 2005.

1. rwt

rwt Member

A mature hog about the size of a potbelly which has a good lean to fat ratio. Like a potbelly in that he will eat anything that is biodegradble in six months or less. Looking to eventually rid about four acres of weeds. Plan to start out with a pig tractor if I can locate the proper criter. Is the idea feasible? Or is there a better way ?

Thanks in advance

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Just keep replacing the pigs as they get too large. There is a ready market for BBQ size pigs and you can market the hog at any weight.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Potbellies work well, but you will want to get them from someone who raises them for meat, rather than a pet breeder. Pet people breed EVERY animal, they dont cull, and so likely stock from petters will be sickly and I've even seen deformed breeders with spindly legs and arched backs and stubby snouts. The fat is partly genetics and partly diet. Most Potbellies in the US are not true potbelly which is actually a meat pig and not genetically prone to obesity. Most have been crossed with lard pigs by unscrupulous pet breeders to increase their numbers quickly back in the 70s. In pigs it took me about 3 generations to cull out the obesity genes, and even then every once in a while one pops up. That said, any pig fed excessively will get fat. If it is foraging that is not likely to be a problem. Check out www.windridgefarm.us to see some healthy, proper potbellies

In your area you might also look for kune kune or osawba (sp?)

4. rwt

rwt Member

Hi George K,
    Looked at your web site and was impressed. Thanks for all the other information which will also be helpful. I'm a transplant from the midwest now living in Ca. Wish that if was feasible to visit your farm.
    ken

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

you might follow the links to a farm in washington state, greener pastures farm