Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
STILL not Alice
20,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if there's some sort of "chug and plug" computer program/ spreadsheet that will help me to figure out a breeding schedule, numbers, things like that, for larger scale production.

I really want to get into PelFreez if there's a route and a need in our new area, but I'd like to know what I'd have to do to get there. Despite numerous statistics courses in undergrad and grad school, I still struggle with number constructs. <rolleyes> My brain just has trouble wrapping itself around those concepts.

If you figured this out already, how did you do it? Is there a formula or a magic wand or...?

:help:

TIA!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Blue Chip Farms also found, as ARDENG Rabbits, has a manual you can purchase. There is a lot of info in the manual. Rabbit math is unique and has so many variables. The PMRA has an advertizer who has a program I havent investigated it further than that.

I am trying to work from the other end. Multiple markets, minimum 3 different markets.
The north american market is being bombarded by Chinese rabbit meat. That has got to put pressure on Pelfreeze and anybody else. I do not see large scale opportunity for most of us wanta be's unless we advertize. Growers groups will have to band together and sell Rabbit to the public. Period. Regionally, Nationally, Locally, It will take a warchest to fight thru the animal rights group counter attacks. 1 to 3 years minimum to build awareness and gain message acceptance. We know rabbit is good for you. Nobody else does. Sales points include "Organic" in some cases, "All Natural " in others, No Melamine, Sustainable, Water costs per LB of rabbit vs other meat types. Non competition with humans for food. Low fat, High protein, Sell taste.....
We have to get by the cute factor. So many people have had a pet bunny and that is probably what they think of when it comes to rabbit meat.
Sorry I am way off topic here.

·
STILL not Alice
20,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, 5050. I went to the site to check it out, and ordered a copy of the book.

It looks pretty helpful and informative. :)

·
Duchess of Cynicism
3,230 Posts
Blue Chip Farms also found, as ARDENG Rabbits, has a manual you can purchase. There is a lot of info in the manual. Rabbit math is unique and has so many variables. The PMRA has an advertizer who has a program I havent investigated it further than that.

I am trying to work from the other end. Multiple markets, minimum 3 different markets.
The north american market is being bombarded by Chinese rabbit meat. That has got to put pressure on Pelfreeze and anybody else. I do not see large scale opportunity for most of us wanta be's unless we advertize. Growers groups will have to band together and sell Rabbit to the public. Period. Regionally, Nationally, Locally, It will take a warchest to fight thru the animal rights group counter attacks. 1 to 3 years minimum to build awareness and gain message acceptance. We know rabbit is good for you. Nobody else does. Sales points include "Organic" in some cases, "All Natural " in others, No Melamine, Sustainable, Water costs per LB of rabbit vs other meat types. Non competition with humans for food. Low fat, High protein, Sell taste.....
We have to get by the cute factor. So many people have had a pet bunny and that is probably what they think of when it comes to rabbit meat.
Sorry I am way off topic here.
It is MY understanding that Chinese rabbit meat has been banned by the USDA-- whether i got this infrop through PMRA or the FSIS, I do not remember.

I have a copy of the Evans software on my farm use computer-- iIdo like it, and on-line support is good-- questions are answered very quickly!!!

·
Registered
831 Posts
It is MY understanding that Chinese rabbit meat has been banned by the USDA-- whether i got this infrop through PMRA or the FSIS, I do not remember.
I'm no expert but my understanding is this was only a temporary
ban. There were so many contaminated products coming from China
that many products were banned. I have heard that the ban on
rabbit meat has been lifted.

PMRA? By chance, would that be PRMA (Professional Rabbit
Meat Association)?

I'm wondering if there's some sort of "chug and plug" computer program/ spreadsheet that will help me to figure out a breeding schedule, numbers, things like that, for larger scale production.
All the software I've tested deals with management. It would be
helpful to have a spreadsheet solution to plug in different data
for different scenarios. It should be fairly simple to establish.
Maybe it's time I looked at providing this type of information
on my website.

Good luck with your venture. From what I understand, Pel-Freez
is still needing producers.

Linda Welch
Texas Rabbit Connection

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry that was the PRMA, under suppliers "Stibbar" has a program for raising rabbits. I have not investigated them further than that.

·
Duchess of Cynicism
3,230 Posts
I'

PMRA? By chance, would that be PRMA (Professional Rabbit
Meat Association)?

Linda Welch
Texas Rabbit Connection
Yeah--- I am dyslexic, sometimes, when it comes to acronymns......and having my hand all bound up is no help, either......

Terry--- barely one day post surgery....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts