IS there any shrub a goat will not eat?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by hrc8713, May 16, 2006.

1. hrc8713

hrc8713 Active Member

I need to plant something on a hill on my farm and pasture, however, the goat and sheep and Llamas are allowed out from time to time. Is there any kind of shrub they will not eat? I need to plant something to stop the errosion when it rains.

thanks for any tips!

Hank

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

what you need to get is some dence growing grass that has heavy root systems, just dont over graze it and you will be fine,
    goats will eat on all shrubs even the bad ones and then your in a bad way as they can get sick and die off of eating poisones plants,
    where are you located? look into native grasses, something that grows thick and fast.
    if nothing else put Bermuda out there

3. hrc8713

hrc8713 Active Member

I live in Alabama. I moved in last year and have been trying to get the pasture back. I had been over grazed and never cut. Itlooks better, but there are spots that are bare. What type of grasses would you suggest. By the way I have free ranging chickens which sctrach up the grass. Makes it a little harder to find something they won't scratch up and the goats won't destroy! Mabye rocks! :)

4. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

Coastal Burmuda? i recently moved here too, only been here sence July so its comming up on a year i guess lol, hard to belive,
    they have some differint sort of grasses down here, but i would get a good stand of something growing out there before i let the chickens or the other livestock out to distroy the new growth,
    by the way what part of Alabama are you in?