Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to rebatch today. I have been making soap for a few of years now and had my first oops. I put in the oils way to hot and it volcanoed on me. I know what I did wrong and had to rebatch it.
I read all I could on rebatching but it didnt make sense to me. Tried in the oven but maybe the pot was to big and it just looked real lumpy. I finally finished in the microwave. Not the prettiest soap and I hope it turns out usable. I read some people like rebatched soap because they can add extras at this time easier but with what I had there was no way to do so. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated for the next time.

Linda

Next time making tallow will be easier too. Guess we all have to make mistakes to learn. LOL

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Don't expect HP or rebatched soaps to look like CP soaps!

Besides too hot of oils, what FO/EO were you using? It sounds to me that you volcanoed because it went into gel too quickly.

When I started soapmaking in '99, the temp recommended to soap was 130-150 F.

When I rebatch soaps, I make sure it is grated as finely as possible. I'll then use the crockpot or put the grated soap into an oven bag.

With the crockpot, I'll give it a stir every now and again to distribute the lumps until they soften up enough to reform.

With an oven bag, I'll remove from heat & knead the bag (with oven mitts on!) to squish the soap into submission. To mold from an oven bag, clip the corner off the bag and pipe into molds.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yes....the trick is to avoid it at all costs!!!

Just kidding.
Occasionally I do rebatch...but it's such a PITA (for me), that it usually cures me of wanting to do it again for about another year or so.

Ditto the post above.
Let your "block" harden until it's just hard enough to be able to grate w/o making a huge mess. Or, if you are super lazy like me, you can cut it into small strips, and feed it to your food processor.

It's a bit of trial and error at this point. I always add a bit of liquid. only about a T or so, depending on how much soap you have.

If I have plenty of time and I'm feeling "crafty" I use the boil in a bag method. If I'm just trying to get done, I stick it in a big pyrex bowl in the microwave. And use very short bursts of cooking. When it starts to look all "gelled" I stir, add my additives, and put it in my mold, cover with wax paper, and whack it down a couple of times to get rid of the air bubbles. It usually turns out pretty decent looking.
And I love the feel of a rebatched bar.
HTH.

J

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didnt use any FO or EOs. I have some family that is to sensitive for them and was making it for them. This is the first time I heated the oil on the stove. I usually do it in the microwave and stir often to melt the little bits left. This was really hot and I thought I waited long enough. It was also 5% superfat. I do have a digital scale so amounts were correct. I did a batch previously same recipe only used Electric Lime FO. It turned out perfectly.
Well the soap is usable but I wouldnt give it to anybody. (really ugly) with unmelted little bits in it. I ended up putting it in the microwave on defrost and used my blending stick to try to get the bits mixed in. Oh well, it works in the shower well enough. Next project is to use the deer tallow that I rendered last weekend. This batch was lard and PKO flakes. I like the combination. Suds up really really well. BF loves it.

Linda

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
I know you say you have digital scales but frankly I don't trust them. I work in a lab and calibrate my balances regularly to 1/100 of a milligram - that is 0.000004 ounces. I checked my home scales against the lab balances and found that my home scale (brand new) is off significantly. But, what can you expect for $40.

THough the scientist in me does NOT like it I have determined that my home scale is adequate for soap but I am "keeping an eye on it". It drives me nuts not to have a calibration routine for it.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I don't re-batch soap very often, but when I do, I use a crock pot. I'm going to try the instant milk trick the next time. Thanks for that.

RoseKYTN

1 - 7 of 7 Posts