Is there a seed shortage?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nostalgia, May 12, 2004.

1. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

When I have gone seed shopping in various stores lately, I noticed that the supply is not as high as in past years. I asked a clerk here at one of the stores about it and she told me that because of the elections this year, many canidates were buying them up. At first I accepted this explaination but recently I read somewhere about a seed shortage because of the serious draughts we have had in the U.S.

Has anyone else noticed a lower supply of seeds in the stores? Have you heard anything about a seed shortage? Are you planning on buying extras just in case?

2. desnri

desnri Well-Known Member

I did notice less seed displays in the stores, but never put much thought to it. I try to save as many seeds as I can. I always buy open pollinated seeds so that I can save them. You can go to heirloomacres.org or seedsofchange.com to order seeds.

3. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

The displays were actually larger at the 4 stores that I purchase from this year.

4. june02bug

june02bug Well-Known Member

Ours do seem a little smaller but not to bad for now.

5. evilbunny

evilbunny Well-Known Member

The Menards here has a huge display some what hidden of regular sized seed packets. They are 50 cents or less. There are about 5 different seed companies represented in the display so there is a lot of choice. A really cute ploy is they have packages for 1.79 and higher in a very visible display but with much less choices. I bought what I needed for this year but now I am considering buying a bunch of them.

And best of all, the Dollar General here has seed packets 4 for $1 but on sale for 10 cents each. Of course I buy as many of those as I can. Especially radish seeds.

:D

Da Bunny

6. Deborah Stephenson

Deborah Stephenson Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed the displays being either larger or smaller, but then since I get most of my seeds from saving them or through catalogs, it didn't really occur to me to look.

What I would like to know though, is WHY would candidates be buying up the seeds? :confused:

7. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Deborah, maybe instead of the old slogan " A chicken in every pot" the candidates are going to use " A radish on every plate" at their campaign stops. :haha:

8. nostalgia

I figured they probely repackage them into " vote for me" packages. Sort of like the ruler, pen pencils, etc. Who knows? :haha:

9. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

We had a candidate a few years ago, who handed out packages of "Forget-me-nots".

10. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

nostalgia, I hope you didn't take my remark as an insult because it wasn't meant as such. I just took a flip way to say same thing as what you said.
    Every candidate finds some way to compensate/lure in voters, maybe with the economy and other world events this years group thinks seeds would be a good choice.

Blessings,
    Kathy

11. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Plenty of seeds where we shop. If you've not checked with your local feed stores, that is the best place to buy here. Since they sell seed bulk, you get more for less money.

12. nostalgia

Not offended at all Kathy---I know you were just being funny. ;) :haha: