Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I have gone seed shopping in various stores lately, I noticed that the supply is not as high as in past years. I asked a clerk here at one of the stores about it and she told me that because of the elections this year, many canidates were buying them up. At first I accepted this explaination but recently I read somewhere about a seed shortage because of the serious draughts we have had in the U.S.

Has anyone else noticed a lower supply of seeds in the stores? Have you heard anything about a seed shortage? Are you planning on buying extras just in case?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I did notice less seed displays in the stores, but never put much thought to it. I try to save as many seeds as I can. I always buy open pollinated seeds so that I can save them. You can go to heirloomacres.org or seedsofchange.com to order seeds.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The Menards here has a huge display some what hidden of regular sized seed packets. They are 50 cents or less. There are about 5 different seed companies represented in the display so there is a lot of choice. A really cute ploy is they have packages for 1.79 and higher in a very visible display but with much less choices. I bought what I needed for this year but now I am considering buying a bunch of them.

And best of all, the Dollar General here has seed packets 4 for $1 but on sale for 10 cents each. Of course I buy as many of those as I can. Especially radish seeds.

:D

Da Bunny

·
Registered
116 Posts
I haven't noticed the displays being either larger or smaller, but then since I get most of my seeds from saving them or through catalogs, it didn't really occur to me to look.

What I would like to know though, is WHY would candidates be buying up the seeds? :confused:

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
Deborah, maybe instead of the old slogan " A chicken in every pot" the candidates are going to use " A radish on every plate" at their campaign stops. :haha:

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
nostalgia, I hope you didn't take my remark as an insult because it wasn't meant as such. I just took a flip way to say same thing as what you said.
Every candidate finds some way to compensate/lure in voters, maybe with the economy and other world events this years group thinks seeds would be a good choice.

Blessings,
Kathy

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
KY Guest said:
nostalgia, I hope you didn't take my remark as an insult because it wasn't meant as such. I just took a flip way to say same thing as what you said.
Every candidate finds some way to compensate/lure in voters, maybe with the economy and other world events this years group thinks seeds would be a good choice.

Blessings,
Kathy

Not offended at all Kathy---I know you were just being funny. ;) :haha:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.