Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I was in our local post office to mail a package to our grandson who at the time was stationed in Iraq. I needed some tape to tape the box I was sending to him. I asked the clerk which tape would seal the box the best and she told me the tape that has priority mail printed on it. I bought a roll.

Now fast forward to this morning. Hubby carries three packages to mail for me. They are taped with the priority mail tape. Two of the packages were the brown manila bubble envelopes with only the flap taped down with the priority mail tape. One was a box that I taped with the priority mail tape.

The clerk charged hubby priority price mail for all three packages. She told him that because it had the tape on the envelopes they had to go priority? Is this true? She charged him $4.80 to send one of the envelopes. One went out of country and it was only $2.15

This was the same clerk that charge hubby $5.85 to send an envelope with a quilt block in it because I asked for a confirmation slip. I have bought the confirmation slips before for the .75 or .85 cents charge. But that time she told him that if it is a letter with a confirmation slip she has to charge the $5.85.

I could hand deliver for what they are charging. Well, maybe not but it sure sounds like Hubby is being overcharged.

Any in-put from postal workers would be appreciated.

Southrngardngal-Jan

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am a retired postmaster. If priority tape was used, it does have to go priority. The same goes if priority boxes are used. You were probably charged priority for the delivery confirmation item, if the priority tape was used on that envelope as well. Next time use regular tape, but she should have told you not to use the priority tape for regular mail when you first got it, or I would have, if it was me.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Not a postal worker, but yes, if you use any Priority packaging (tape or box) you will be charged for Priority mail. Did she offer to let him go home and re-tape to get the cheaper rate?

Regarding the delivery comfirmation - it is still $.75 for non-priority packages (I think $.60 for Priority). Sounds like she charged him for Signature Confirmation which is much more.

Our Post Office staff is very helpful. Sounds like your isn't!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am a retired postmaster. If priority tape was used, it does have to go priority. The same goes if priority boxes are used. You were probably charged priority for the delivery confirmation item, if the priority tape was used on that envelope as well. Next time use regular tape, but she should have told you not to use the priority tape for regular mail when you first got it, or I would have, if it was me.
She just told him that he would have to pay priority costs because of the tape.

He did what he thought I would want but I told him if this happened again to tell her to give the package back to him and for him to bring it home. I could easily change the tape.

Thanks for the info.

Jan

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not a postal worker, but yes, if you use any Priority packaging (tape or box) you will be charged for Priority mail. Did she offer to let him go home and re-tape to get the cheaper rate?

Regarding the delivery comfirmation - it is still $.75 for non-priority packages (I think $.60 for Priority). Sounds like she charged him for Signature Confirmation which is much more.

Our Post Office staff is very helpful. Sounds like your isn't!
The letter that sent didn't have a signature card with it. All it had on it was the confirmation number slip. She told him and me when I called to ask about the charge that any time a letter has a confirmation slip it is $5.85.

You're right our post office isn't very helpful. I have a neice that works there and I try to go when I know she's working because she will help me if I need help. I mean such as retaping a package kind of help.

Jan

·
Registered
319 Posts
Also, I don't think you should've had to pay for the roll of Priority tape. My P.O. gives it to me and you used to be able to order Priority tape and boxes off the USPO website for free.

·
Chief cook & weed puller
5,684 Posts
You are right to question them, at least. I know we have a couple of liars working at our local postoffice. And I've read here on the forum how things/services seem to vary from office to office.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
I have a wonderful staff at my local post office!

A few years ago, it wasn't the case. There were a few non-friendly types that were not helpful at all, and made shipping things difficult.

Clove

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is the USPS site page that shows pricing for various services, like delivery confirmation.

http://www.usps.com/prices/extra-services-prices.htm

Thank you for the link. That young lady charged my husband $5.80 for something that should have cost .75.

I will show him this link so he will be aware of what the actual charges should be if he goes back the post office to mail anything for me.

Thanks again.

SGG-Jan

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
The Priority tape musy have been an old roll. They haven't had that available for free for at least a couple years. I just checked the website and the only tape available is a roll to buy.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Priority tape musy have been an old roll. They haven't had that available for free for at least a couple years. I just checked the website and the only tape available is a roll to buy.
I bought the roll of priority tape that I have from the post office here. I bought it before I found out that I could order the priority boxes with labels and tapes to send goodies to our boys in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I didn't know that we would be charged more if I taped manila envelopes on the backside with the tape. I sure would have found something else to tape the envelopes with if I had known what that girl was going to charge for the priority taped envelope.

SGG-Jan

·
Registered
714 Posts
Did your husband bring back the receipt. That will explain what services and prices he was charged. It sounds like he was purchasing signature confirmation, which is considerably higher than delivery confirmation. If he requests one service, but actually means something else, the clerk has no way of determining his thoughts. When in doubt, ask for an explanation of the various services and prices if you're not completely familiar with the terms.

If you have a scales, a printer, and a CC, you can weigh your parcels yourself and go the USPS website and determine the delivery service you desire, then print your postage, schedule a parcel pickup, and receive a discount for doing it all electronically. It actually costs more to stand in line at the PO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts