Is there a plant called Lithium?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Linda Camello, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Linda Camello

Linda Camello Well-Known Member

My mother has a plant..that is about 3 ft. high and has tall spikes of purple on it. She thinks it's called Lithium. But I cannot find any info on it. Any ideas what it may be? Central Ohio here.

2. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

Liatris would be my guess.

4. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

The name you mention brought to mind lythrum, which is the name I knew it by when I was growing up. Now people are referring to it as purple loostrife. It is very invasive so if this is the plant you're talking about please your local regulations reguarding it.
    http://tomclothier.hort.net/album/lythrum.htm

5. Paquebot2

Paquebot2 Guest

If it's purple loosestrife, you don't want it, especially in Ohio. That is one state which has a program for total erradication of that invasive species. It's a pretty plant but will entirely take over any wetlands. For a time, it was legal to sell a "mule" version which supposedly did not produce fertile seeds. That didn't work out as that stuff also escaped into the wild. Even if you did get a stand of them started in Ohio, chances are good that an insect will come along and destroy them. That state is one of many which has imported a beetle which dines only on loosestrife. Thus you're against the wall no matter what. If the DNR officials don't come down on you, the bugs will!

Martin

6. TennOC

TennOC Member

If it's Liatris, you can tell by the flowers. They shoot up the spikes with buds, but then start to open from the top down, very unusual in that respect.

7. Linda Camello

Thanks everyone!! I do believe it is the Liatris plant. But I'm not absolutely 100% positive of it. It has about about 12 or so decidious branches coming up in a group and it looks like I can probably get a start off if it that way too. It sure is very pretty when it blooms.(It's done blooming here now till next year) But I thought the Loosestrife plant was very pretty too!! I wish I could get one of them!! Thanks for everyone's help....my mother still believes it is called lithium!! LOL

8. lessard

lessard Member

well, happy to learn that liatris is envasive...I buy bulbs this spring and they are now with my other flowers...but if I cut the dead head, it should not be as invasive??

9. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

I vote that it's lythrum, too. Liatris comes up as a single stalk from a tuber, and lythrum comes up as a multi-branched plant from a fibrous root system. Lythrum's flowers are more of a rosy-purple than liatris. And lythrum is indeed banned as invasive in most places, while liatris is both a native wildflower and cultivated hybrids.

10. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

If its lythrum, DONT take a cutting and start it. My mom did that a couple years ago, and now half her pond is filled with it. We've been in there pulling them out but I think its a losing battle :(

11. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

How about Linum? (flax)

12. Linda Camello

Sorry Suelandress...but I looked at the pics of the Linum and I'd still say this plant is the Liatris...judging by all the info and all the pics I've seen of it so far. I will wait till next year and really watch the plant with a very close eye and take notes on it too. THEN...I will know for sure exactly what it is. But for now....I will call it a Liatris...and my dear mother will still call it her Lithium !! :haha: LOL :haha: