Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some technical questions about the site...is there anyone who can answer them?

·
Super Moderator
13,908 Posts
I f your question is about the homesteading questions board you need to contact Cabin Fever the mod for this board.

I may be able to help you with general site questions, but even those will get the best answer if you post them on admin board for answers from the fine folks who maintain the server.

Ask away and I will see if I can provide an adequate answer even though this board isn't actually in my moderatation jurisdiction.

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I f your question is about the homesteading questions board you need to contact Cabin Fever the mod for this board.

I may be able to help you with general site questions, but even those will get the best answer if you post them on admin board for answers from the fine folks who maintain the server.

Ask away and I will see if I can provide an adequate answer even though this board isn't actually in my moderatation jurisdiction.
Most Jelsoft boards allow one to edit a post that one has made at any time.
Here, they seem to be un-editable after a day or two. In the "Rabbits" forum, we wish to post a chart for rabbit "natural" feedstuffs that can be updated periodically. Ideally this would be in the first post of the thread.

I understand that perhaps memory limitations limited the PM's to only 10, and that the same reason may apply to not allowing the direct posting of pictures, but I have no idea why the ability to edit ones post disappears after a few days.

·
..where do YOU look?
3,920 Posts
because that's the way the forum is set.

If you want to make a 'sticky' in the forum and add to it over time, you'll need a mod to do that

·
Super Moderator
13,908 Posts
The edit feature is set to expire after a period time to prevent posters from editing content and later altering thread continuity or starting a fight, then changing their post and saying someone else started the fight.

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The edit feature is set to expire after a period time to prevent posters from editing content and later altering thread continuity or starting a fight, then changing their post and saying someone else started the fight.
Understood. Doesn't speak well of expectations of those on board, but at least it is a reasonable answer. A much more enlightening answer than: " 'cause that's just the way it is"

Thank you.

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
Understood. Doesn't speak well of expectations of those on board, but at least it is a reasonable answer. A much more enlightening answer than: " 'cause that's just the way it is"

Thank you.
There are almost 18,000 members on this board.

Many of them don't take the time to read the rules or to even seek out the correct board to post questions on.

We get our share of trolls.

I think expectations of those on board is just fine. This is one of the most self-moderated, easy going boards I've ever been on. The only exception would be GC, but it's by far, mild compared to the rest of the wild 'net.

In the future, if you post your questions in the admin board (near the bottom of the forum) you'll get better interaction with the admin of the board. Moderators don't really write the protocol or the code changes for the board, so you could get several different answers from the Moderator crew.

Welcome aboard. We're glad to have you.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
If your ability to edit a thread has expired AND something important needs to be corrected the board's moderator should be able to edit the thread. I can edit any post on the boards I moderate (only) and would to fix a hyper link or picture link for example if asked.

·
..where do YOU look?
3,920 Posts

Thank you.
Apologies. I wasn't aware you were seeking enlightenment... just an answer to a technical question. I am certain that the reason Shrek gave for the removal of edit capability is correct. The setting is also a board-level setting and cannot be set only for one forum or another.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
After a longer period of time on the board, your limit on PMs increases to 50, btw.

When I need to edit something, if the edit option has expired, I just add a new post down the line. :shrug: If it's NEEDED in the original, I ask the moderator of the particular forum, or go down to the Admin forum and ask for someone's help there. They've always been willing to help out.

The sticky thing....just PM your moderator (or ask on the forum) to ask about making the thread a sticky. Each forum has their own moderator. You can find out who it is by looking at the bottom right of the page indexing the threads for your forum.

Welcome aboard! (I don't suppose you have angoras and are living near Wisconsin?)

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After a longer period of time on the board, your limit on PMs increases to 50, btw.

When I need to edit something, if the edit option has expired, I just add a new post down the line. :shrug: If it's NEEDED in the original, I ask the moderator of the particular forum, or go down to the Admin forum and ask for someone's help there. They've always been willing to help out.

The sticky thing....just PM your moderator (or ask on the forum) to ask about making the thread a sticky. Each forum has their own moderator. You can find out who it is by looking at the bottom right of the page indexing the threads for your forum.

Welcome aboard! (I don't suppose you have angoras and are living near Wisconsin?)
Thank you everyone for the additional information. Every site is set up a bit differnent, even Jelsoft sites. I have not found my way around this one yet.
I figured there was a better place to pose this question, but hadn't come across it.

Sorry Ann, I'm in central Missouri. I have raised rabbits for many years, but am currently without them as we are trying find a piece of land we like. I moved here from southern Illinois a few years back, for job reasons, and am living in a residential area now. Wanting to learn about sheep and goats mostly, I have never raised them before, and I suspect they will fill a niche in my plans. Try to contribute when I can on the rabbit forum. I have room for rabbits, and may start back with a few pair in cages, though looking to eventually "colony" raise.

·
Registered
415 Posts

Thank you.
I'm aware of several message boards, participate on a couple, and I'm one of the administrators on one.. All of them have expiring edit windows. Probably the moderation staff on these boards expect that MOST posters will not give them problems. It's just that tiny minority that will try to push the line, and the even smaller minority who will step over the line. It's those two small groups of posters that cause about 80% of the rules to be made, in my experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts