Is there a market for angora goat fleece/wool?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by norsebear, Mar 11, 2005.

1. norsebear

norsebear Member

Three questions really, first is there a market for angora goat fleece/wool and has anyone heard of a pygmy angora goat, and what one might cost?.?.?.

2. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

There is a "market" for just about anything! Just depends on how creative you are at marketing. :p

The goat you're referring to is a Pygora!

I purchased 3 angora does but didn't have the $$ for the buck right now. I was considering crossing them with my Boer buck and while doing research discovered the Pygoras. I'd heard of them but...never given it any thought. So, I've got 3 angoras hopefully bred to my Pygmy buck for kids in May/June. I have no idea what they're "worth". I'll probably keep a couple kids and price the others on their looks.

Once upon a time, I was emailing with someone who had one for sale. It was a mature doe, they said it was a really good deal....it was $75.

As with most goats sold as pets/fiber...the prettier, more interesting colors, the more you'll have to pay.

Do a google search for Pygoras. You can also search Pygora on eBay and see what fiber is selling for.

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Near me, angora does go for about $75.

Yes, there's definitely a market for mohair among spinners, weavers, and knitters. The craft market tends to be more interested in colored fleeces than they are in white. Plenty of people want white, but colored fiber sells for more money. You'll have to do the marketing yourself at craft fairs, spinning/weaving guilds, or e-bay.

I paid $12 for 8 oz of dyed mohair locks in the most delicious shade of teal. I have cashmere goats and could probably trade for all the free mohair I wanted, but this caught my eye. That's the market you'll be looking for - yarn/fiber addicts who just can't help themselves.

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes theres a huge market for the mohair and wool its in Texas but not sure of the town but its on U S 83 N.