Is there a doggy door installed in your home?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by OldYellersGhost, Apr 7, 2005.

1. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

Do you worry about other small animals making thier way in also?

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

No I depend on my Yeller female dog to keep them ran out. :haha:

big rockpile

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Yes, we have a doggy door. Our Basset and the German Shepherd Mix zoom through them when playing tag. Thumpity thumpity down the hall, wrestle in the living room, thumpity thumpity back down the hall and outside. LOL

Actually, it's wonderful. No puddles in the house, and no getting up in the middle of a project to answer a scratch on the door.

4. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Why would a "ghost" dog worry about such? Cant you enter through walls like Casper?

5. designer

designer Well-Known Member

I don't have one but would like to. The ones I've looked at have a flap and also a solid part that sides into place and can be locked. For say at night or when you're away. But I would hope when you're home the dog would keep the critters out. I think my greyhounds would eat anything that walked in! They'll eat just about anything and chase everything.

6. OldYellersGhost

Oh I'm not speaking for myself. I'm just making conversation, doggone it.

7. coventry49

coventry49 Well-Known Member

South Central Montana, foothills of the Beartooth
    I don't think I would want to live without a doggy door in my house. I am normally gone during the day, and my 2 pups would have to either be outside or inside all day long. Not good either way. As it is, they can snooze at peace during the day in the safety and comfort of the house, but run out anytime they feel the need to scare off dangerous turkeys or deer, :rolleyes: take a sunbath or snowbath (depending on the season), or just take care of personal business. No one gets in without their permission during the day.

At night, though, the door gets closed, so nighttime visitors don't sneak in while we're all piled up asleep :haha:

8. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

no doggy door here, our yard isn't fenced and our male cocker would deffinatly be gone if he were off lead so we either use the 50ft dog run or we take them for a walk, or when the weather's nice they go for a bike ride.

9. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) I have three dog doors! LOL But, the important thing is they go into a fenced dog yard. I don't want my dogs to have the run of the meadow at night even though it is fully fenced too. No skunks thank you! LOL

Being a vet tech for so many years I have had a lot of "input"( starting from before that word was invented. LOL)on dog doors. This is what I have learned:

1. Most everyone who has had a wild animal come through a dog door has cats and cat food out. Skunks, Raccoons and Opossums(the most frequent party crashers)just LOVE cat food!

2. The people with dogs who have the inclination to keep any intruders out don't have anything but their dogs and cats coming through their dog doors..

3. So, If you have a chihuahua or other small ineffective dog, and cats, AND you have the bad habit of leaving cat food out all of the time you are a bad candidate for a safe dog door system.

I live in a pretty wild area and have no cats...never a hint of any critter trying to come in the dog doors. They often visit the dog yard(??????Don't they know it's a DOG YARD! LOL And once in a while will tangle with a dog.

Hope this helps.

LQ

10. homebody

homebody Well-Known Member

who started this post, do you? Why,it's the sticky witch under one of her many alias. Go ahead, put me on your ignore list, cause you have been on mine.

11. OldYellersGhost

Well there we go with the sticky thing again.
    Can't a guy just be creative on his own without being compared?
    Really now, I think I am much more oroiginal.

Um...Obviously not.

12. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Couldn't live without my doggie door. 4 dogs and 5 cats make it mandatory. But, the doggie door is in the mud room so I can block them out of the rest of the house if I want to. The mud room is big enough for all of them to "crash" in if the house is nice and I don't want muddy paws all over the place. Then at another level, the mud room opens into the kitchen which is really long and I have a baby gate at the end where the carpet starts in the living room. So, sometimes they just get access to the mud room, sometimes mud room and kitchen and sometimes (like tonight) the whole house.

13. chickenmommy

chickenmommy nosey, but disinterested Supporter

I don't have to worry about strange critters getting in the kitty doors. The kitties bring them in to play with them. it's more fun to play with your new toys in an enclosed area. Brought me a starling right to my bed at about 2 am. Muffled meows and pained chirps coming down the hallway gave it all away though. That's how to get people moving early.

Chickenmommy

14. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldn't be without one. A good part of having one is knowing your dogs are safe when you aren't there. For years I'd go to town in the winter and worry about the dogs being outside, or if you stopped to talk to someone on the way home and it got late, you'd worry about the dogs needing to go out. Or fire. That was always a big worry with me: What if the house burned while I was gone and the dogs couldn't get out? It goes without saying my dogs LOVE it. The newest puppy darned near housebroke himself becuase of the dog door, too, and I've never had anyone come through it who shouldn't except one stray dog that was playing with mine.

I also never get myself locked out of the house anymore! LOL!

Jennifer

15. hatwoman22

hatwoman22 Well-Known Member

I want one!!! I have for the longest time, why doesnt lowes sell doors with dog doors already installed?? I looked and would have bought one with proper measurments, but no luck!! And I definately dont have the experience to hack one into the door myself, sides landlord would have a fit!!! Ha him having a fit would be hiliriouse:) hehehe

16. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

[​IMG]

Yup... That's My Boy.. Percival ( Percy )

KC~