Is there a doctor in the house?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Cheryl in SD, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

Let me start by saying, this is NOT life threatening or even major, I am just curious & somewhat frustrated. If anyone knows what this is, maybe I will feel better. At least then when people call & say, "Did you drop off the face of the earth?" I can say, "Oh no, we have rigafrigarigious."

We are ill. I know it is a virus, but WHAT virus????

Christmas we started with the intestinal thing, all 7 of us in a 24 hour period. It lasted (coming & going) 2 weeks, actually it is still somewhat with us but we have other problems now.

Last weekend we all (in a 24 hour period) came down with a cold/flu thing. The high fever, coughing, sneezing, blowing noses constantly, achey, kind and we were just beginnnig to feel a little better from the intestinal thing, but it is still here.

That was last Saturday-Monday. Then Thursday we began breaking out in spots. By Saturday night ALL of us had them. They look like spider bites, kind of, are very itchy & everyone has 15-20 of them. At first I thought they were spider bites, but EVERYONE???? & we haven't seen but one spider in weeks. I checked bedding, nothing. These will pop out any time of day. So I think the bite explaination is out the window.

I am assuming it is a virus, but WHAT???? & yes, I will call the doc tomorrow, but as fevers are now down to 99.1 or so, I am not bothering him on the weekend. We are avoiding people as we don't want to share. Oh & did I mention that my sil's family all has it, too, and we haven't see them since Christmas week?????

2. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

3. menollyrj

menollyrj Joy Supporter

Fifth disease is going around here, but it is usually milder that what you describe... It does cause a rash, with a characteristic "slapped cheeks" look. DS had it and his cheeks were the first place to show the rash, and it looked like he had been literally slapped - bright red cheeks. The rash was also worse on the arms & legs than the torso/trunk of the body.

-Joy

4. earlyriser44

earlyriser44 Member

Some viruses are followed by an echo rash. That's what is sounds like to me.

5. Cheryl in SD

No, not measles. I had it as a child, my two oldest were vacinated (before the allergy appeared) for them.

6. earlyriser44

earlyriser44 Member

Does the rash increase when their temp goes up? or when they are warm?

Where is the rash located? torso? extremities?

Are the spot elevated or flat? Do they have a center and then are red around that center? Do they ooze?

Does taking a hot shower make them itch like crazy while you are under the water but give you relief from the itching when you get out?

7. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Cheryl, are the spots raised or flat? Are they red or red with pus in the middle? Do they look like a pimple or are they crusty? Are they all in one area of your body (like your face) or are they all scattered? Do they come and go, are you gaining new ones or are the 15 or so that were there, still there? I know, a lot of questions but you have me curious now and the more information one has, the better the investigation can be. Running to the convience store and when I get back I will see what I can find for you...sounds odd. I do have a friend whose son gets what she calls "infection" pox when ever he is ill. Without fail he will get five or so little pimple looking things on his face if he is sick. I wonder if it is something similar. HTH
    God bless you and yours
    Deb

8. Cheryl in SD

Here are pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are on our torso, legs and arms. They started on our torsos. They are still breaking out, in clusters of 4-5, or just alone, no rhyme or reason. They are raised, with a pus spot or sometimes just a hard spot in the middle. If scratched if makes a scab. We had chicken pox in May (I didn't, I had it as a child, the older two didn't either, they had it as babies, but two of us that have these had chicken pox last May.)

9. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

Joy my DD5 had that 3 wks ago.. and your right it was worse for her on her arms and legs and nowhere else, the first symptoms i noticed was the bright red cheeks, I thought she had wind burn and even took her to the doctor he said it looked like a allergic reaction to something at first, then he said it might be viral he had no idea.. but the spots would be worse in the morning, it lasted around 3 days.. and when she took a bath the warm water made them come out more.. sure is alot going around now..

10. earlyriser44

earlyriser44 Member

I'm no Dr. but those spots look just like what my daughter and I get every time we are recovering from the flu. Some times they linger all through the flu season. My Dr. said is just something that happens with some people who are ultra sensitive to viruses.

Do they go away in a few day? Ours usually itch intensely for 24-48 hours then they scab and heal.

The Dr. said they are nothing to worry about.

11. njmama

njmama Well-Known Member

12. saramark

saramark 1 acre homesteaders

My husband and both of his brothers had chicken pox 3 times. They just never built up an immunity. Just a thought.

sara

13. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I had spots once a few years ago, and the DR said that sometimes instead of giving you a cold a virus can give you spots. Good luck!

14. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    You should go see the doc. Some bacterial intestinal infections can create toxins which can cause a vasculitis, which may be what is causing the spots. Many of these can go on to more serious complications, such as (reversible) kidney failure.

But it sounds more like you have more than one thing going on and the spots are just some kind of viral after-effect.

15. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry that I didn't reply last night... I got distracted. The pix are a good thing. I cannot think of anything that presents that way. I am obviously not a doc or nurse of any kind but sometimes knowing someone that is a hypochondriac is a good thing. *grin* These bumps you are shoing in the pix look just like the ones my friends son has when ever he has a virus. For a while I was worried that he was having what I call "strepp blemishes" (I am sure that there are real names for them) but niether he nor anyone in the house has strepp after he has these so his mom and I ruled that out. I have another friend whose daughter had the "strep blemishes" and the mom got the strep throat from them...dd was a carrier. Sorry that none of us seem to be able to give you a definitive answer. Did you get in to see your family doc yet? Will keep you in our prayers.
    God bless you and yours
    Deb

16. Cheryl in SD

I din't call the doc today. On my list for tomorrow. All but 2 of us are beginning to feel much better.

I have not seen my sil or her family for 3 weeks, they have been matching symptom for symptom within 48 hours. Her ds broke out in the same spots last night.

This has got to be a virus.

Cheryl

17. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

((((Cheryl)))) I'm so sorry you are all dealing with this very weird virus/bug, and certainly hope it goes away quickly. I know that has to be hard to have something hang on and on so long, and see all your family having to suffer with it too.

18. giraffe_baby

giraffe_baby Well-Known Member Supporter

I would like to add to this. Last year my daughter got sick ( just a cold) then the next day was hospialized ( dehydration, she doesnt sweat anyway) and when we got home she came down with what i thought at first to be Chicken Pox, but ended up being Scarlet Fever, she itched ect almost same symptoms as you guys, but with you all having almost every " bug" going around it could be a mix of all! here is a link to scarlet fever, it also has fifth disease ect.. hope it helps
    http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/infections/lung/scarlet_fever.html

19. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I still think it's rigafrigarigious and I sure hope everyone recovers soon!

20. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Heck, I can't say "rigafrigarigious" and I am good with tongue twisters!

BTW, it doesn't look like a scarlet fever rash, that is more like you have beard burn on your skin, only with slightly bigger bumps than beard burn gives.

But definitely be sure---go to your doctor!