Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
mailman said:
Hello again. I am just learning here. Is there a breed that has does with horns and can be used for milking? I have a preference for the look of boer does with horns but can be milked.

hey mailman....all female goats have horns that i know of unless debudded....i think fer someone starting out a nigerian dwarf goat is good...they are great milkers and are small in size...this way ya learn how to handle them in a milk stand and iffin ya do get kicked..it dont hurt much....i do say debud all yer goats...just this past saturday myself and Michael went to buy a nubian out of a half wild herd...well the one buck didnt like it much and put a hole in my right leg and a bad bruise in my right..that was with me catching him before he really tore into me!.....i do have a buck of myown that has a beautiful rack of horns but he has been handled since i got him and has never come after me...but as of this weekend i have started to carry a prod with me just in case!.....fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me...dont have to horn me twice before i learn!!!!...can also get a cross breed between a nigerian and a nubian...nice size and great milkers...thats what i have bought the nubian for to cross breed her....try to buy a goat that has been bottle fed...more gentlegoats....goodluck....dale anne

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.