Is there a breed that has does with horns and can be used for milk?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mailman, May 17, 2004.

1. mailman

mailman Miniature Cattle

Hello again. I am just learning here. Is there a breed that has does with horns and can be used for milking? I have a preference for the look of boer does with horns but can be milked.

2. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

It has been many years since we milked goats. However I remember that we had Toggenburgs and the does did have horns. I also think many other breeds, if not all, the does have horns.

3. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Most dairy breeds would have horns if not disbudded when young. The closest in looks to a Boer for milking, would probably be a Nubian. Lots of people cross the two breeds, using a Boer buck on Nubian does. I love my Nubians!!

4. mamasaanan

mamasaanan Well-Known Member

Saanen's make wonderful milkers, and if not disbudded as kids, have a very nice set of horns. Most owners disbud their animals because of the danger of them getting caught in fencing and hurthing themselves. All my does, except one, have been disbudded. Also, if you are planning on keeping bucks, horned males can be a bit intimidating, and if not raised properly, can cause all sorts of damage with their horns, including taking down any fence that gets between them and the does. Believe me nothing is going to stop a 300 pound buck from getting to his girls.

5. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

hey mailman....all female goats have horns that i know of unless debudded....i think fer someone starting out a nigerian dwarf goat is good...they are great milkers and are small in size...this way ya learn how to handle them in a milk stand and iffin ya do get kicked..it dont hurt much....i do say debud all yer goats...just this past saturday myself and Michael went to buy a nubian out of a half wild herd...well the one buck didnt like it much and put a hole in my right leg and a bad bruise in my right..that was with me catching him before he really tore into me!.....i do have a buck of myown that has a beautiful rack of horns but he has been handled since i got him and has never come after me...but as of this weekend i have started to carry a prod with me just in case!.....fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me...dont have to horn me twice before i learn!!!!...can also get a cross breed between a nigerian and a nubian...nice size and great milkers...thats what i have bought the nubian for to cross breed her....try to buy a goat that has been bottle fed...more gentlegoats....goodluck....dale anne

6. Jim S.

Jim S. Well-Known Member

Actually, whether a goat has horns or is a "mulie" (naturally polled) without them is something that cannot be easily controlled. It is not associated with the sex of the goat, but rather with genetics.

There seems to be a great deal of bias online toward removing horn buds in all kids. I have never bothered, but then my herd is meat goats.

Once a goat has horns, they cannot be easily humanely removed because the horn encompasses the sinus cavity. That has not stopped the hacksaw from being used on some older goats, a practice I would discourage.

Look at #21 here if you want to try to distinguish your naturally polled stock for future breeding:

http://www.inform.umd.edu/EdRes/Topic/AgrEnv/ndd/goat/REPRODUCTIVE_MANAGEMENT.html

A polled goat will have a rounder top of the head than a horned one. Horned ones have a squared off head top.