Is the Leghorn the best

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by Yellowsnow, Jul 15, 2017.

1. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

All of our leghorns lay only white eggs

2. Yellowsnow

Yellowsnow Well-Known Member

I've thought about the white eggs. I figure it would provide an opportunity to educate people. If people don't want to buy my eggs, thats ok to. We'll eat them, give them away, or donate to the soup kitchens.

I'll still have my New Hampshires for brown eggs and roasters. Selling eggs around here is kinda tough anyway because almost everyone has chickens in their backyard.

3. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I think they're beautiful chickens but not much meat on them. Good egg birds for home use. Selling eggs- well people do prefer brown

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

We sell a mix of white, brown, and green. We RARELY have trouble with people wanting only brown. A quick little bit of education usually clears that right up. Last time we had trouble we had a lady who did NOT want any green eggs because they 'taste bad'. ;)

We don't cater to them. We have no trouble selling the beautiful mix of egg colors and the vast majority of people LOVE the beautiful mix. White eggs have never been an issue for us to sell. Around easter, most people WANT the whites so they can dye them. :p

aart likes this.
  5. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

HAHAHHA!!! If you love Leghorn Foghorn!! then they are the Best!! I am plagued with the serious problem of loving diversity! So? I end up with everything from White leghorn, to Chukers, Bobwhite quail, pidgons, and since there are several thousand kinds of chicken? i haven't exactly found the perfect breed? I love them all!! Turkeys, Ducks, pheasants, Pea fowl! So many how do you choose?? I wish I was like you and could pick one specific breed! abut alas I am doomed to diverse taste! hehe best wishes!! I,m the same with rabbits, goats, horses, cows, pigs, etc. I just can't have them all! but still trying! best wishes ray!

6. aart

aart HOW do they DO that?

Was wondering if infusing these other colors reduced the high production potential?

7. barnbilder

barnbilder Well-Known Member

In my experience, yes. But they still lay a decent amount, and have near the same low feed requirements as the production leghorns.

aart likes this.
  8. altair

altair Member

They are pretty birds. I'm not a fan of their giant wattles and combs, both visually and for practical reasons here in Vermont. I do like the rosecomb versions better. I do prefer my birds a little more mellow though. Stress isn't good on an animal and if I can work around birds with power tools and a dog and moving tarps and grain bags in their presence, I'm happy to have a flock like that.

That said, I'd love to see pictures of your birds.

9. Yellowsnow

Yellowsnow Well-Known Member

I only have a couple leghorns in the flock. This was just some brainstorming I was doing. Looking at the good qualities of the Leghorn outside of the industry type.

I may add a flock of Leghorns in the spring. For now the New Hamps will do.

10. Alder

Alder Well-Known Member

I've thought about a little flock of Leghorns as barnyard birds for bugpicking and clean-up duty, They seem flighty and fast enough to maybe avoid predators. Only problem is that a lot of broodiness has been bred out of them, so not necessarily self-replacing.

There really is NO perfect breed of chicken. Just like with dogs and horses.

11. Bob Johnsun

Bob Johnsun Active Member

Well I thought leghorns we're like Frog Horn Leg Horn the Big Chicken on the cartoons ?

12. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Leghorns are a very small chicken that lays lots of very big eggs.

13. Bob Johnsun

Deb Nabbit you mean to tell me them cartoons aren't real ?

14. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Oh, I don't know about that. I think Wile. E. Coyote and the Roadrunner are real. :rolleyes:

15. Bob Johnsun

Well they are so is that big sheepdog Ralph isn't he ?