Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my friend called me earlier and asked if she could move her horse to my barn becouse what happened at the barn she boards that i reluctantly said yes but told her it's a bad time so she'll have to care for it her self. Anyways what happened was a women there apparently thought she stole her horse's hay and blanket so she burned her saddle and replaced the horses feed with a moldy feed which made the mare colic! I thought all these people that boarded horse's all love horse's and even if you have a problem don't bring the horse into it THEY DID NOTHING WRONG! And the barn manager tells her that she's in the wrong and feed the horse the moldy feed. I've always had my own barn so i was wondering if it's like this at all group barns?

·
Registered
299 Posts
No. We've had our share of drama, but it is usually limited to one boarder who thinks they know everything there is to know about horses telling another boarder how to handle/feed their horses. Worst case scenario, Dad intercedes, tells them to back off, and peace is restored. It is the exception, rather than the rule. We have never had anyone do what you're describing. It has been my experience that their is always one problem child for one reason or another - and I do use the word 'child' deliberately - that causes problems, but we've never ran into this kind of a problem.

ETA: The first rule at our place is you never, ever mess with another boarders horse. If there is a problem, you come to us and we will handle it if necessary.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
no, not to that level, but drama and stirring the pot was standard. hat was enough to kill my desire to ever board again. Bought our own land then blew out my back and won't ride again. irony

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Burning a saddle and feeding someone's horse moldy grain isn't drama, it's mental illness.

It's also a crime that should be reported to the police.

·
Registered
519 Posts
yes, one woman where I boarded many years ago starting taking my things because she was mad that my horse 14.1 hands was picking on hers, 16.2, in the field. (Like I had some how trained mine to specifically attack her horse).

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Yes, but it's sometimes very hard to figure out allegations from fact.

Reactions: DEKE01

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
As my husband says, all horse people are nuts - it's just to what degree that makes the difference.

Yep, we've had all sorts of disfunction although I think burning a saddle and purposely feeding a horse bad feed takes the trophy. That's just sick!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts