Is the a maple seedling? Red stem??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cc-rider, Sep 9, 2005.

1. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

It kinda looks like one I saw on a 'net search, but it has a red stem. The other pictures I saw didn't. My luck, it's poisonous!!!

If it IS a maple, I'd like to dig them all up and transplant them into a nursery. The local stores are getting $25 for a nice-sized maple! I need a few.....

Maple seedling??

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Looks like an Amur maple seedling. A photo of one is shown below. An Amur Maple is more of a bush than a tree.

[​IMG]

3. cc-rider

Hmmmm..... I've never seen one of those before then. Could I have them in my yard here in Ohio?? Actually, I don't even know where there is a REAL maple tree around here, but I always am covered with the whirligigs.

Do the Amur maples have the whirligigs? I dug up one to see if it was still attached to one, but it just had plain ol' roots.

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Yes, they have whirlygigs (is that a technical term?)

Amur maples are more of an ornamental plant. Chances are the seeds were transported with those woodchips shown in that photo of yours.

5. cc-rider

No, the technical term is floatymus whirlygigatinus. :)

Ahhhh. I didn't think about that. It was mulch that I had trucked in a couple years ago from a tree-trimming place.

Oh well, guess I won't try to grow them then. I need trees!

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Maples mongrelize. We have mostly maples growing in this area, and they nearly all vary in apperance. We have them coming up everywhere each spring. Many look like your seedling. A good way to find out what you have is to set them in a nursery row and see how they turn out. It isn't a silver maple, which is good. They are trashy. Keep them trimed up the sides when small so they grow up shaped nicely.

7. cc-rider

How can you tell that it isn't a silver maple? How soon will I know if they are going to become a tree instead of a bush? (If they are a bush, and I keep trimming them, erroneously thinking they are a tree, will I ever know? Except that they will eventually stop growing UP).

I'm confused. :confused:

8. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Silver maples have a large leaf with deep notches in them. The edges are like they have been through pinking shears. The odds are against it being a bush. If its a tree, it will be five feet tall after two more years. Set them in partial shade. That makes them get tall faster.