Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is he ready to butcher in 30 days? Already have the appointment set..

just want to make sure hes good to go and have had 2 different opposing opinions so im here for some guidance

Angus /Holstein 16 months. Been on pasture/hay and started finishing feed hes at about 5 lbs a day right now
20201220_123154.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
I agree with Alice...primarily because of the difficulty in getting an appointment issue. He appears to be a little "light" for beef, in my opinion, but I know little about beefing dairy breeds. I used to wait until 28 months for Dexter steers, and 16 is quite under that. Sorry for my "non-answer"!

·
Registered
329 Posts
With processing being at such a high demand your gonna regret not taking him in while you've got an appointment. He could use some more time, but it's what you've got. I would give him some more feed daily, and the next 30 days will help.

I've got two going this week that aren't as big as I like, but I'm in the same boat. My local butcher is already booking 2022 out of 2021 appointments.

If given enough feed the holsteins will get a big full brisket that looks about the size of a basketball. That's what I usually look for, and they taste great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With processing being at such a high demand your gonna regret not taking him in while you've got an appointment. He could use some more time, but it's what you've got. I would give him some more feed daily, and the next 30 days will help.

I've got two going this week that aren't as big as I like, but I'm in the same boat. My local butcher is already booking 2022 out of 2021 appointments.

If given enough feed the holsteins will get a big full brisket that looks about the size of a basketball. That's what I usually look for, and they taste great.
Thanks everybody for your reply! In such a pickle. I figured he was a little light but a neighbor said he's fine. Agreed with the long wait times on butchering right now im hesitant to cancel but just worried I won't get enough out of him if he's light.

What should I up his feed grain to?? Should I be feeding grain twice a day instead of once?

Hes on pasture and has alfalfa bales he's got free range on also

I've read about people free feeding grain but I'm really hesitant to do that due to possibility of complications

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,297 Posts
Increase to twice a day. Keep an eye on his poop. If he gets runny, cut back on the grain.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Will do. You think 5lbs for both or ease up to it?

Thanks again!
I have finished off dairy and beef steers, never crosses. That steer is not ready and won't be by your harvest date. Don't push him. Can you swap dates with anyone around you? There are a lot of folks looking for an appointment with finished or near-finished animals that can't get a one.

Reactions: G. Seddon

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,297 Posts
The suggestion of trading your appointment with someone else’s is brilliant!

What had you been feeding in the once a day feeding? Don’t increase that amount. Just offer half that amount in the evening. Then gradually increase the evening ration to match the morning

You REALLY don’t want to cause scours.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Or, you will give him scours, bloat, and then die.

I'd bet against it with Holstein genetics and already being on a good feed ration. A beef steer, especially with Angus or Hereford genetics, I'd be inclined to agree with you strongly.

·
Premium Member
6,701 Posts
My opinion on Holstein. It is lovely fine flavored beef, but the animal is building frame size for the first two years and doesn't start to bulk up until after the second birthday. I recomend butchering in the fall when the Holstein is 2 years old.

However, you have an appointment and if you cancel, you might not be able to get another appointment. It's December and grass is probably gone so feeding costs are about to go up. Myself, I'd like him to be bigger, but I agree with everyone else that maybe you should do it while you have an appointment to get it done.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
My opinion on Holstein. It is lovely fine flavored beef, but the animal is building frame size for the first two years and doesn't start to bulk up until after the second birthday. I recomend butchering in the fall when the Holstein is 2 years old.

However, you have an appointment and if you cancel, you might not be able to get another appointment. It's December and grass is probably gone so feeding costs are about to go up. Myself, I'd like him to be bigger, but I agree with everyone else that maybe you should do it while you have an appointment to get it done.
I have finished many a steer. The pure Holstein that I grafted onto a mostly angus cow that had lost her calf was an education. It was back in the day when slaughter dates weren't hard to get. I ended up pushing it back over and over; and, it was about 22 months before he was ready. The more I fed, the larger and larger his frame got with no thickening of his rear and a thin dewlap. But, when he was nearly ready, he finished out just like what I was used to. He yielded more steak and a richer, more marbled carcass than I had achieved before. Best beef that I have ever produced. Also, the most expensive beef that I have ever produced. He was also a nightmare to handle. I had an old, but reliable squeeze with no crossbar across the top. He tried to climb out of it every time he was in it. I had to bolt on a 2x8 over the top when he went through. In the end, he was my inspiration to replace it after over a decade of service.

I would imagine an angus/holstein cross would be both more manageable and less time to finishing. But, I have a vivid and unreliable imagination.

Reactions: Whoo
1 - 15 of 15 Posts