is something wrong with her neck?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by wizzard, Jul 30, 2005.

1. wizzard

wizzard future nomad

so, i got the ear mites worked out. but now the nape of her neck is getting bare. is this just because the oil in her ear made her scratch? or is there some other disease i need to be worried about? im glad i only got 1 bunny to start with so i could figure out what all is involved in taking care of them.

2. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Wizzard Ok ,, now 'I' have never had a case of them ,, but it 'might' be fur mites ,, :(

yes it might be from the oil that made her scratch her neck could be from this misserable heat :grit: and she's been scratching ,,

I've been assured that ivermectin will take care of worms , ear mites & fur mites ,, now 'I' just can't afford $40 for the small bottle of injectable type ,,

some inject into their rabbits ,,,, and 'some' drop 2 drops of the injectable with a syrenge ((eyedropper has too big of drops)) ... down into the inside of one ear of each adult rabbit ,,

some reccomend the drench (pour on) .. type ivermectin ,, ((I don't know cost $$ )) ,,, tho I've read that sometimes the hair will fall out at the site on the back of the neck where you drop the drops of the drench type .... the fur does grow back in tho ,, you'd have to change the site of where you dropped the drops each month ,,

now paste ,, I was told that with the 'paste' type ivermectin ,, the amount is a 'small' 'pea' sized amount every month ,, I've been told two ways to do this ,, orally ,, and to 'rub' the paste down inside the ear ,, where it can be absorbed thru the skin ,,,

I found at the feed store a one dose treatment of horse ivermectin paste for $7.99 ,, that I can afford for just my 6 rabbits ,, as I like my fingers I'm trying the ear absorption route ,,I tried it with my rabbits 3 weeks ago everyone is fine ,, no mites and the 1 doe that had signs has clean pink ears ,,, :goodjob: I'm storing the tube and it will last me for a long time

3. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Fur mites. You can also buy a fur mite powder that you put on their body and rub in, and when they "shake" it "off", it will cover their body, and kill the mites. I know Da-Mars sells it, and they have it online, so I would check that, or just do a search online for it. I wouldn't recommend Ivermectin, rabbits have a tendency to be sensitive to medicines, so it is best to not overhaul their immune system. It will work, though. :)

4. wizzard

wizzard future nomad

ok, i have been gone from home for almost a week. i came back, and the neck is no better, and she has diarea. is this a sign of fur mites?