Is she pregnant??

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by jill.costello, Jan 4, 2007.

1. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm...... My Red Heeler female got bred on the 5th, twice on the 6th, twice on the 7th, and once on the 8th of December. (not simply 'exposed' to the male, actually bred).

So, here we are half-way through her gestation, and she's not really pudging out....

Also, she was bred by the neighbor's crazy mutt on the 5th and once on the 7th. Our Blue Heeler male covered her immidiately after each "oopsie", so we're crossing our fingers for HEELER pups, not Lab/Mutt/Heelers :rolleyes:

what are the odds that after all that action, she still didn't conceive??
    when will I be able to feel pups in her to know for sure one way or the other?

2. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    Take a look at the following website:

http://www.borzoi.cc/pregcal.html

If the link doesn't work google "canine pregnancy calculator", and that should get you there.

It says that right now is the best time to palpitate the uterus to verify pregnancy. The embryos are about the size of a walnut. I didn't have any luck with this, so I took my dog to the vet and for 35$ she did an ultrasound. Worth every penny IMO. We are due sometime near the 13th/14th - 9 or 10 more days. My fingers are crossed that all goes well. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Anne
    Cowgirlracer
    :hobbyhors

3. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

She won;t be pudging out yet. A vet with experienced hands or an experienced breeder can palpate her and tell you. Barring that- wait and you will see a milk line develop down the center of her abdomen (feels like a vein) in a maiden female dog in about a week or so.

4. mizattitude

mizattitude Well-Known Member

Missys pups were her first litter..I couldn't tell hntil she was almost there..about 2 weeks prior.

Actually I was standing there looking at her saying "Thank God she didn't get pregnant"...and my daughter is like "Are you SURE she isn't? Her nipples are huge"...I was like "OMG"....

I know after Missy was exposed to Cuddles..I deliberately exposed her to Bandit..By the dates she welped it should have been Bandits pups.....Hmm..Guess not. I guess I will see

5. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

Set up an ultra sound for next week, this way you will have a pretty accurate head count too.

6. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Ultra sounds are the best... you can be better prepared to help with a large number, know if somebody's head is big (later on) or if they're turned funny and mama might need help... and you know for certain she's done, if you're no good at palpating.

7. mizattitude

Congrats!

8. jill.costello

Well! We just had the ultrasound! Best $30. I've spent in a while-

She IS pregnant, and we counted at least 4 swooshing around in there. He told me to come back at 42 days for an X-ray to count spinal cords for an exact count/positioning. :p

9. cowgirlracer

Well! We just had the ultrasound! Best $30. I've spent in a while-

She IS pregnant, and we counted at least 4 swooshing around in there. He told me to come back at 42 days for an X-ray to count spinal cords for an exact count/positioning.

We had the ultrasound done early on to confirm pregnancy, and we were told 4 puppies. Today we had the X-Ray done, and it's not 4 . . . it's nine!!! So be prepared if the number changes. :baby04: We are very excited!

Anne

10. Pyrenees

Pyrenees Well-Known Member

Kudos to everyone for getting an ultrasound AND an x-ray done. You NEED a head count if you run into trouble. The most annoying thing a vet faces is the 1 am phone call about a female dog that has stopped actively pushing and there is no way to tell if labor is over, or if there are still more in there (outside of driving to the clinic at 1am to take a VERY expensive x-ray).

11. mizattitude

awwww....I bet you are excited! This wa a planned bred? What breed is your dog?

12. mizattitude

I know, but even though it was suggested to do..I am still stuck in the era where that is a strange thing to do. A dog sonogram?
    never heard of such a thing...But then again..I got all excited after I sent in Missys AKC papers and they offered me free health insurance. I thought it was just so cool..

Yeah..I know.....DUH

13. jessin

jessin Well-Known Member

congratulations!! I'l remember this when I breed our mini dauschaund.

14. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

a vet friend showed me a way to do check at about 30 days you can reach from the belly area towards the hips.you can squeeze gently the tube(not sure of correct term here) that the pups are in i guess it may be the urethra ?? any way you can feel little "golf balls" in the tube.sorry for my lack of corect terms...lol..and i hope i explained it ok.

15. cowgirlracer

Yes we are very excited. Yes, this is a planned breeding. I am of the mind to spay or neuter unless you plan to breed. Halle and Murphy are both Bernese Mountain Dogs. Halle is 2 1/2 and Murphy is 1 year. I wanted to make sure my female was completely full grown before she was bred. ( I wasn't crazy about the idea of my baby having babies! :shrug: ) Anyhow we are down to the "any day now" stage and she is so uncomfortable. I feel bad for her and with my every waking thought I am hoping all goes well, and she has a smooth uncomplicated delivery. I made up my mind early on that if she required a c-section I would go ahead and have her spayed at the same time. Her health and well being is most important. Well I am late for work, so I had better get going.

Anne

16. jill.costello

Ours, too, is a planned breeding. My Red Heeler female to my Blue Heeler male......we're gonna' get PURPLE HEELERS!!!! :p :p :p

17. cowgirlracer

Jill - you HAVE GOT to post pictures of those! lol