Is she preg. or not?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ajharris, Sep 26, 2006.

1. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

I have a saanen that was supposedly bred in April (the last part) when I got her. She is not showing like my other that is due. Instead of showing on the sides, she is showing on the bottom of her stomach, like a barrel or maybe she is just fat? She is fed the same as the others and they are not this big except the preggo's. Should have she been in heat between then and now if she wasn't bred?

I know it is a lot of questions, but please help.

Tia
    Amanda

2. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

If she was bred the very last day of April-she would have been due yesterday-150 days-meaning, if she is-she would be extremely close to kidding! There would be udder development-noticeable "change" even in a doe who doesn't "strut" till she kids. She should have been having discharge for the past week or so-her tail head should be getting very sunk in--If you are running her w/a buck-then she could very well have been back in at anytime and rebred w/out you catching it-and could be due "whenever!" :shrug: Yes, some do belly down rather than out-does she have an obvious "milk vein" showing on this dropped belly? You would see obvious kid movement at this far along also. I hear heartbeats w/stethascope by 4 monthes in my does. :rolleyes:

3. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

She hasnt been run with a buck. She is getting a small udder. No changes in the tail. No discharge. I was sure hopin for some pure saanens since all I can find around here are boars.

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Keep watching the udder, tail ligaments, and bottom. I have one doe that simply does not show; she carries very low. But, you should be seeing some changes by now. Next week or so will tell, I guess. Good luck.
    mary

5. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

Saanens are big goats and don't show big bellies like the smaller breeds. Is she a first freshener? The udder deveopment is a good sign that she is bred. You should be able to see and feel kid movement by now.
    She should be showing signs of heat if she isn't bred even if there is no buck around. Is she your only goat?

6. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

When you least expect it, expect it. :)

7. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Goats, like people, are not textbook cases when it comes to having babies. I just had a doe kid out this morning with twin doelings and she gave little warning. I knew she was bred and she had a small udder developing. I just noticed her nosing around something on the ground when I pulled in from picking up my daughter from kindergarten. Ahhhh, it was two kids!! I also knew that she was supposedly due around the first of October. So, here we are. She wasn't sticking out to the sides ars much as hanging towards the ground. She is a Saanen/Boer cross. Good luck to you. Don't discount the fact that she could be due any day!