Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So these goats are clearly messing with my mind. At the beginning of the month, I would have sworn to you that they were all in heat. Flagging, yelling, picking fights when they wouldn't otherwise, vaginal discharge, and generally acting like they'd lost their poor little goaty minds. Then a week ago Sundae had vaginal discharge again - clear ropey stuff. This was less than two weeks after the first time, but heat cycles are 14 to 21 days, right? So maybe she's just on the short side? But no yelling, flagging, any of that stuff. Yesterday she was yelling and flagging, but no discharge. Today she has the clear discharge, but no yelling and flagging. I don't even know what to think of all that. :p Any suggestions? Today is almost exactly 21 days from the first "heat" - I can count it on the calendar when I get a chance.

Emerald is also probably in heat today - she was less obvious than Sundae last time anyway, but is yelling and flagging. Zelda has been picking fights and generally acting like a brat yesterday and today (well... more than usual :heh:), so maybe she's in heat too. So I have at least some goats that are goating in a way that makes sense to me. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
A lot of times does will short cycle when they first start coming in at the first of the breeding season. The heat(weather) may be effecting how rambunctious they are right now as far as showing strong heats. Once they line out usually mine run between 18-21 days between cycles. Unless you are dealing with fertility issues.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So she could have been in heat all of those times and I'm NOT loosing my marbles. :D It was pouring rain a week ago - Sundae thinks she will melt if she gets wet, so that definitely would have put a hamper on any shenanigans. How long to you expect it to take for them to get regular? We were planning on milking Sundae through this year, but next year I want to breed her for keeper doelings - she does everything I want a goat to do, AND she's never had fewer than triplets, which is a very good goat! The other two though, if I'm right, are right on the money - 17 and 18 days between heats, so hopefully they will get bred with no problems.

Other question - given that Sundae was yelling yesterday and has mucous today (with a small amount of yelling now), which day would you say would be "buck day"? Am I over thinking this?

It may be a good thing that the neighbor has offered to loan me his kiko buck, rather than me bringing the does to him... I have the fences to keep Sundae and Bucky Boy apart, and I bet HE knows when the does are in heat, cuz I sure don't. First year at anything is an education!

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Am I over thinking this?
Maybe a little :D How long they stay in depends on the doe. Usually 24 to 72 hours. They will usually flag and yell before they go into a standing heat. Before that they will flirt but won't stand. Just put them together if you want her bred. You can tell pretty quick if she is going to stand or not !!:D Every doe is different. You kind of have to learn their cycles and there personalities too. As far as "getting regular" I have just had them short cycle once right at the beginning of the season. Then they will line out !!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Up until about a week ago I thought I was going to have to drive them forty five minutes to get to the buck, so the over thinking may be a side effect of that... and next year I *will* be driving Sundae to that buck (she gets a freebie with her home herd, and we've agreed to waiting a year - he's a very nice buck and I'm not ready for keeper kids yet), so this year is kind of a practice year I guess. XD I'm definitely seeing the pros of having a buck on the premises. In a couple of weeks I will see the CONS I'm sure, but at this point they'd have to really suck to talk me out of just buying a dang buck the year after. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts