Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is gentle enough it seems, I am more worried that he needs to get some sleep, this is her second kidding .

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Some mothers have OCD and are very obsessive about cleaning. YOu may need to fix him a small place where only he can get into for a few minutes peace. He should come out again when hes hungry.

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
I swear, from reading this forum I have decided that they seem to go from one extreme to the other! If not ignoring the baby, they are licking the skin off of them!!! Forget it, I'm trading them all in for hamsters.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
But hamsters are not near as much fun and loving. The babies are hard to hold too.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,441 Posts
In most cases, the licking is good. It is an important part of the mother-baby bond.

NeHi

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
I have doe that's 6 years old & she always licks her kids way more than she needs to also. But she calms down after a few hours too, usually. She has always been a very attentive, nuturing mother so I don't worry about mine too much anymore.

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
eh... Dorkwad did that... to the point where she bit Dorkweed's tail and made him bleed all over the place.
uhh.... if I ever start raising goats, if I send you pictures, would you name them for me? :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She is a very attentive mother and she licked him for hours last night, I thought her tongue would get sore, lol. So glad we are having unseasonally warm weather.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I swear, from reading this forum I have decided that they seem to go from one extreme to the other! If not ignoring the baby, they are licking the skin off of them!!! Forget it, I'm trading them all in for hamsters.
Hamsters are much harder to milk, too.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I wanted to add, that our angora/spanish meat goat cross that kidded 7 days ago (first freshener) walks around with her tongue sticking partly out of her mouth 24/7...at first we thought she'd had a stroke, now we are guessing her tongue is just TIRED from all the CONSTANT licking she does...she licks her baby boy every time he comes near her. He is the WHITEST goat we've ever had for a winter kid. All the boer kids in the next pasture/pen over look like street toughs, with muddy knees and swipes of dirt across their shoulders, etc. This little guy is a total momma's boy. Plus, since he's 1/4 angora, he has a totally wavy coat. He looks like a total priss! We let them out to pasture today for their first time out of the barn and he is HILARIOUS, leaping and zipping around with mom worriedly following him, tongue ready for any splash of mud.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Jcran send her on up here I need my barn clothes cleaned. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts