Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a border collie who will whelp with her first litter in the next week. She has swollen teats, and I can feel the little ones squirming around in there. The "sire" is a smooth collie, and he came by for a visit at the beginning of June, so I'm positive of the general due date, around Aug 4.

The thing is I've ONLY had rescue dogs, and NEVER had a dog whelp on me! I've done a lot of reading on line, and have the "basics" down. I also was present at all my goats' kiddings, and am an RN for what it's worth :) .

So she's pretty round and it's hot here and she's not real comfortable. She's not eating much, and I'm offering her a couple of eggs, a little goat milk, and other tasties several times a day. She drinks LOTS of water. Eats a little kibble, chews her bones.

But tonight, I offered her a hunk of cheese and a cup of milk . . . and she refused it. No way! This dog will eat anything, any time.

I read they often refuse food while in early labor. She's been restless, but not overly so. No nesting that I've noticed.

What signs have you all noticed that clue you in to impeding birth? I'm just wondering about personal experiences. I don't want to confine her too soon, and I don't want to crawl under the deck to get the puppies! She also FLIPS out if I confine her to the house unless I'm in there too. How might you all handle keeping an eye on a dog that's used to free run of the whole place?

Any advice or experiences are welcome, TIA!

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
I don't have any advice since I have never whelped a litter of puppies. Just curious, any pups yet? Sounds like she is getting ready.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Dad's beagle (who was such a little piggie) usually quit eating a few days before her pups arrived; then the day of labor, she'd go on a binge and devour everything in sight. Go figure.

Just relax, if you're stressed she'll know it and be uncomfortable. Get some extra sleep while you can, re-check your labor kit, and make a meal or two for you in advance so if you're starving and she wants you by her you don't have to be gone long.
Good luck! :D

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well this am she's "needy", woke me up by wiping her scratchy paws on my face. She ate three eggs, and I just found a BIG wet spot on my bed. It is urine (grrr!). And no it's not mine :D .I'll update as things progress.

Jen, I've really noticed this piggy dog not eating much for a few days now. She is a yearling border collie, just beginning to calm down after a very trying puppyhood. Lately she is lumpish, comparatively. This dog can play fetch with herself.

Well anyway I'm ready when she is. I stay home 24/7 so I'll just keep watching her. If she disappears for too long I know where to look (under the dang deck). I have a large kennel ready but she's not interested in it.

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YT, thanks, I remember reading about the temp somewhere and you reminded me. I'll be checking that then.

Yes, I have a portable kennel with towels/rags ready for her. It's just so hot here she's lounging beneath the deck where the dirt is still damp and cool. Can't blame her.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
You mean thing, I thought we were going to get puppy pictures! LoL, glad she's at least settled on a spot and you won't have to hunt her and the pups down.

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, I PROMISE puppy pictures!! Sorry to get ya all excited. Right now she's glued to my back, we're drooping together in the heat.

My cat had a kitten almost two weeks ago, and she and baby are in here too. The dog has tried to steal the kitten at least once. I figured it must be her hormones beginning to rage. She's a gentle dog, but the cat and kitten are up where she can't kidnap now :)

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
If your talking about a plastic airline crate- that will not be large enough for her and the pups. You need an area at least 4 ft by 3 ft. I use a frame built of 1 by 4's- 3 high on the sides and back- one high on the front. I then add a "pig rail" of 1 by inside the box about the hieght of the bitches spine when she lies down. Keeps pups from being accidentally laid on and suffocated. I then put my papers and fleece under the edge of the frame to hold them in place- that way pups cannot get under them and get stepped on accidentally.
Being summer you will not need supplementary heat- but the extra room in the whelping box will allow the pups to spread out so they will not get overheated- even when mom is there.
When the pups get mobile and can climb over the front rail, I make the front of the box the back and put it against the wall- gives another week of not having to worry about pups getting out away from thier littermates.

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She's having them on my bed! One healthy pup is out, and now the wait begins!

Yup, Willowynd, you're right. I've got a better idea, a closet I don't use that's in the room with me. But for now . . .

Pics to come!

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Squee! Little baby collies, how sweet! Hope it goes well!

Oh... and oxy clean works miracles at getting birth stains out of linens. :D

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, three more, looks like three girls and a boy. That's enough!!

ETA: Good thing I bought some Oxy on sale, I'm really gonna need it :D

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One more girl, total of five.

Oops, another boy, total of six :D. You can stop any time Bobbie Jo!

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Two more girls, total of eight :shock:. Hard to believe she had that much room in there . . .

I know pics are in order asap! My son is going to "midwife" while I milk the goats, so pics after chore are done :)

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Bwahaha... see that trail of smoke shooting out of your wallet and into the sky? That's your kibble bill, practicing. :D BTDT, lol.

Y'think she's done? And, I was going to ask, is she a working dog or a pet?

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Only 2 boys out of 8 pups???? How come I only get 2 girls out of 10??? Not fair :( I can;t wait for pics. BTW- if everyone would cross thier fingers for lots of girls in my upcoming litters it would be appreciated!

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Here they are, in the closet on rags. I shoved the bed up to it so no one will squirm away, they are active little things.

Yeah, six girls, too bad they aren't purebred. Dad is a "smooth" collie.

Kibble bills . . . oh my. Not to mention they'll have first shots and wormings.

Two are reddish and white, one is completely black, and the rest are black and white, typical border collie markings. Bobbie Jo is supposedly "pure" BC.

Bobbie Jo is a pet, more by default than anything, she's just getting over terrorizing the poultry :D and calming down. Her puppyhood was a trial. Her sire, Bob, is a working dog, her mom a pet.

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL Don, I'll have the post office give you a call when they arrive :D

This dog was such a complete nut her whole puppyhood, too smart for her own good or mine. To see her being such a good mom is amazing. She sure has a lot of hineys to lick, it seems like that's all she does!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts