Is oregano a "forever" herb plant like rosemary or does it die after going to seed?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Real Hawkeye, May 26, 2006.

1. Real Hawkeye

Real Hawkeye Well-Known Member

I planted oregano about two years ago, and it has been a huge producer. It's spread out all over the place like a low bush, and makes great flavored leaves. Now it seems to be going to seed. Is this the end of it's life, or does it just keep producing like a rosemary bush? Thanks.

2. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

I've read that oregano is a perennial, not a biennial. This is my first year growing it, so I can't tell you from personal experience.

3. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

I've had my oregano plant for at least 8 years; it's definitely a perennial. However, it's possible the current plant is a volunteer seedling I rescued a few seasons ago. Mine blooms little white flowers; if you don't rush to clean up your beds at the end of the season and take your time in spring, it's amazing how many babies you find. I'm a confirmed lazy seed saver and bird do plants are always a bonus.

4. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Oregano is a perennial. And it is a plant which, like mint, likes to spread and spread and spread and spread.......

5. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Hm. Somehow, my oregano did not get that information. It did not come back this year.

Grr! :flame:

I'll have to try it again this year to see what happens.

Pony!

6. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

lol, it is terrible being out of the loop. imagine how the plant felt, hehehe.

7. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

You could have some of mine, there is a TON.

8. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Well, I don't need a TON... just a small plant or cutting before I use up the last of what's left from last year. :)

But thanks for the offer, Sullen. :D

Pony!

9. Daddyof4

Daddyof4 Well-Known Member

If you live in a cold climate, you need to mulch it with hay over the winter to protect it from frost. The one year I didn't was the year it died, and I live in the South.

Wilbursmommy

10. Daddyof4

Daddyof4 Well-Known Member

Wilbursmommy-wife of Daddyof4

11. Real Hawkeye

Real Hawkeye Well-Known Member

You know, I don't live much south of you (just west of Gainesville, Florida), and I didn't do a thing to protect mine last two winters, and we had lots of nights below freezing. I guess because it's low to the ground, it didn't freeze. If it had gotten a little colder, maybe it would have. I think from now on I will cover it in the coldest month of the winter. Don't want to lose such a prolific oregano bush. Do you call them bushes, by the way? It's pretty big and spread out.

12. Red Devil TN

Red Devil TN Well-Known Member

Oregano is indeed a perennial. I have had Italian, Greek and a bunch of box store Oregano. Noticed no real difference between the Italian and the Greek ones, but they were a whole lot more potent that the other ones. I had about four beds that were about 7 years old in MA. The one at my Parent's was about 10 years old before we tilled it under for the Greek one.