Is nature for us or against us?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SRSLADE, Aug 25, 2004.

1. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

It just seems when i was a kid the greater the need ,the more nature provided.When i was a kid we all hunted as a means to survive. Yet there were deer for everyone that needed one. Everyone grew a garden with nothing stronger than phosphate. The apple trees provided all the apples we needed for cider, apple sauce, pies, whatever. I remember fishing and no one going without.Whats changed? The apple trees no longer bear fruit. The streams don't have fish if the state does'nt put them there. The deer herd is almost non existant. No one seems to garden anymore and if they do it's a feeble attempt to say the least. I wonder if the little honey bee :p decline could be the answer on the garden. And i was wondering what your thoughts were on all the above. Maybe i'm just senile and don't remember well.At 50 i'd like to think i have'nt lost it altogether. STEVE.

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think the question should be "Is nature for us or against us?" but rather, "Are WE for nature or against nature?".

3. Man has destroyed nature where he has come to live.

You need to go to a place that does not see much man to see nature.

We are the most destructive virus this planet has ever seen.

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Nature is neither for nor against us. It just is.

5. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

Unregistered. Where is that place?

6. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

At least have the decency to register so we know who you are. Anyone who posts here anonymously is generally passed over by me.

Take a minute and register.

I disagree with you, but I will not address a nobody, so get your shi* together and register, if you have the guts to do so.

7. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Sheesh! You haven't been to Minnesota or Wisconsin lately.....have you? Every morning and evening on the way to and from work I;m thinking that the deer are out to kill us!

8. bearmeatwoman

bearmeatwoman Member

yep, you are too close to civilization, if that is all you see. and i'm not unregistered, but i agree that we are a really bad "virus." also, nature is neither for or against- she is neutral... it's kill or be killed in the wild world.

9. Bob in WI

Cabin you have that right.

We have been in WI all our lives and have hit 5 deer and totaled 2 vehicles because of them. I wish they were all gone, although I love venison.

10. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Poor deer...men put a road right through the middle of their home and then hit them with their cars. I see articles quite often about "nuisance wildlife" and can't help but wonder if the wildlife doesn't think of us and "nuisance humans".

11. Bob in WI

Once people understand that wildlife doesn't think, things can only improve.

They are animals, is that so hard to understand?

12. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, there were very few deer in NW OH. Now they are plentiful. There is a deer trail along the edge of our property and they are eating on the apple trees. Now, pheasant is another story, although I understand they are not native to OH. Sure tasted good, though.

13. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

The apple trees no longer bear fruit.
    there are abandoned orchards across the field where i pick more than i can use...

The streams don't have fish if the state does'nt put them there.
    you got me there... i wouldnt eat a fish i cought anywhere around here. when the game comission says only eat one a week from the mercury and PCB's, i dont wanna eat none.

The deer herd is almost non existant.
    there are so many deer and turkey here they are a road hazzard, and flocks of turkeys wander around allover.
    No one seems to garden anymore and if they do it's a feeble attempt to say the least.

I give it a good feeble attempt, but I stil get more than i can can cook or eat. thats in a bad year.
    I wonder if the little honey bee decline could be the answer on the garden.
    honey bees... the bee collector guy is always busy here bagging up swarms in homes and barns. honey bees we have in, well in swarms.

depends on where ya live maybe?

14. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Srslade, wish I could send you some deer! They are very plentiful around here.

The ringneck pheasants are from China, by the way. They've really helped the tourist industry in the state.

15. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Wildlife does think!

16. not sure where you are but nationaly we produce more abundance in so many things every year one wonders how. grains fruits you name it the production just seems to get more every year despite building roads and houses everywhere. If you want to hunt try kansas we got deer and turkey to let odds are good you get an out of state if you apply we have bow powder rifle and lottory seasons here. ever been to south dakota? a real sportsmans paradise wild turkey pheasant prarie chickens ducks and honkers everywhere white tail muleys and antelope in abundance just gotta look. the deer down here in kansas are corn fed and steaks grill up like beef. we get about 300 a year with cars, not sure how many fish and game is issuing. whatever you do don't try poaching as you will get cought eyes are everywhere. few years ago indian boy about 50 miles away took state record at 280 i swear he musta been feedin him.

17. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

People are very much like cancer... take a look at a population density map. Where there are large concentrations of people, nature has, for all intents and purposes, been wiped out.

Nature is also one of those things where one change can trigger a chain reaction. Wipe out one small critter, plant, watering hole... whatever, and all sorts of other living things can, and usually are, effected.

We're not as smart as we think we are... yet we're almost too smart for our own good.

cheers,

18. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

Nature is neither for us or against us......its nature.

Personally, I don't see gardens as nature. Rather, they are civilized agriculture, usually fenced in to keep varments out.

Deer are rapidly becoming a quasi-pet for those living in populated areas.....relying greatly upon human supplied food for their subsistence. Human supplied food for deer has radically effected the lifestyle of deer. Today, one will see 10 times as many deer on the outskirts of a our town......than they will in the deeply wooded Nicolet National Forest.

Man has done his best to tame nature, and by doing so.......has evolved nature.

Change is inevitable, and without a doubt, as man continues to tame nature, so too will what we see as nature.....change as well.

19. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

I applied for a deer tag and was one of the fortunate few who was drawn for my area. You can't (legally) just go hunt deer when the larder is empty. This particular hunt is the first two weeks in November. In reading the "Game Reports" for this area the deer population is down and mountain lions abound. The average mountain lion needs to harvest 3 deer a week to stay fed. For $19.50 I can buy a cat tag and hunt mountain lions all year long. Don't need to be drawn for that one. The moral of the story is that somewhere in Phoenix a little guy is sitting at a computer in a dark corner with his college degree hanging on the wall attempting to control the balance of nature by deciding how many can hunt what critters when. :no: I guess we have come a long way.

20. reluctantpatriot

reluctantpatriot I am good without god.

Terra Planet, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    Most humans now, not all, but most, are more like a disease than a part of nature today. We overrun every area on the planet and push out what existed there before to change it to suit our needs. Nature is neither for nor against us, but does respond to what we do to her. If we alter enough of the planet, there will be changes. There are already changes to the planet.

For everything that we do there will be a response, but those responses may take time to come, and may not be reversable. It would benefit us to start thinking about being in harmony with nature rather than forcing our desires upon it.

There is one truth though, we are already taking more from the Earth than we absolutely need and we are placing our existance on credit that future generations will have to pay for. Sooner or later, we will reach the carrying capacity and will break the system. When that day comes, we will start our downward spiral as a species.

The only thing that keeps us in power is our brain and the creations we pull out of it. Without technology we would be at a great disadvantage in comparison to other lifeforms. At some point our technology will cease to resolve our issues because we will reach the point where the Earth will not sustain us in the lifestyle to which we have become accustomed.

--Aaron