Is my potbelly pregnant?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Laura Workman, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

In early November last year, my boar was about six months old, and my sow was about a year old. They'd been housed together a couple of months. I brought them home in mid-December, and the breeder had seen them doing the wild thing a week or so earlier. I've seen this type of activity two or three times since they got here; last time was a week or so ago. The sow does seem to be kind of filling out a bit, but I'm wondering whether that's just feed. Neither of these animals is obese, by the way. Will a sow stand for a boar if she's pregnant? Shouldn't she at least be pregnant by now? They're both too wild to touch, or I'd try to feel her belly. She has seemed a bit crabbier the last couple of weeks, incidentally. Can anyone offer any insight?

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Laura, I'd say she's pregant or your boar is sterile. Once my sows are pregnant the boar generally wants nothing to do with them. He is very amorous for about 24 hours and then he is very obnoxious about things. Both the boar and the sows will call in a low drawn out moan when the sow is in heat. It is hard to miss. They will be more vocal than ever :eek: :) If she is still standing for him, she is probably not pregnant. Sterility isn't something I'm knowledgeable about- wild pigs in general seem to be quite fertile. But I've heard it is a problem with some domestic pigs. BTW, if she is in standing heat, you should be able to walk right up behind her and push down on her butt. She will be a statue (don't know how your boar will react to you doing that). Have I answered your questions?

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

During the time period when the boar seems interested in the sow observe the sow's vulva to determine if that area is more red than normal and if it is slightly swollen. If so, I doubt she is bred.

4. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Thanks for the info, folks. Tango, these guys are way too skittish for me to walk up behind her and press down on her rear. Also, they're my only pigs and they're housed together. They seem pretty companionable for the most part, except at dinner time of course. I'm really hoping neither of them is sterile, naturally. I'd sure like to have some sausage in the fall!

I'll have a close look at her the next time the boar seems to be mounting her. Hey, by the way, when a boar mounts a sow, is it really fast like a goat or horse, or is it more slow, like a dog? Knowing this might give me a clue as to whether there's really anything useful going on. Thanks again!

5. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly (I must admit I didn't pay too much attention in large animal medicine ;) ), but it should be slow. I believe it is because boars don't have a prostate? That organ is partly responsible for propelling the semen and with out it, it is a slow process.

Please don't make fun of me if I'm wrong-it's been a long time!!!! :eek:

6. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I have vague memories of 5 or 6 leisurely pushes, so that would be somewhere in between,

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

It takes a little while but can be missed. The boar is a lovely amorous gentle soul for about a day while the sow is receptive. He will mount several times in a 24 hour period so if you miss one you should see another if you are close by. Most of the mounting occur very shortly after introduction but if they are kept together-dunno. It doesn't takes as long as a dog breeding :confused: I think dogs take a longer timebecause they are tied but am neither a pig nor dog eggspert :) While in heat, like agmantoo said, the vulva will be slightly more swollen that usual and reddish in light-colored breeds. There is also a small amount of whitish discharge.