Is my pig pregnant?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Angie, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Angie

Angie Well-Known Member

I have a Hamp gilt. I bred her and thought she took and was due on July 3rd. Her teats are hanging and looked filled out. If they have never had babies before would thier teats hang like that or isshe really pregnant? How far over the due date can they go? I bred her several times over a weeks time so she may not have takent he first time. Just wondering if I could be mistaken that she really isn't pregnant.

2. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

I have no experience in pig breeding but i know with my pygmy goats, I knew they were pregnant once the udders developed so I would get excited seeing a pigs teats getting ready. I would bet shes going to deliver soon.!!

3. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

she sounds to me like she is bred...watch for her to have a very swollen vulva...the tail head will sink in on the sides of the tail as the softening continues. She will nest, be kind of anxious. It has been our experience this all occurs about 12 hours prior. She will also get milk. We have had them get milk about 12 hours prior and had them get milk and farrow in 3-4 hours. You can squeeze the teat and check. There will also be goo coming from her vulva.

4. americanbulldog

americanbulldog American Hunter

How long does it take from the breeding until the pigs give birth?
    When was she bred?
    I guess you are saying that she is already 4 days overdue? Is this common?

5. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

114 days. Most of ours farrow on time

6. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Any Nesting behavior yet????????????

7. Angie

Angie Well-Known Member

She has milk now in one of her back teats. No nesting behavior. How far over the due date can they go? My first date of July 3 was from the first time I bred her. July 11 would be the date from the last time I bred her, I think. So she is still over!!

8. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Give or take a day or three is perfectly normal. 3months, 3weeks, 3days is the old saying for the gestation of a pig. If she has milk, she is getting close. Give her plenty of straw! She needs to build herself a nest and get some place quiet by herself in order to have a stress free farrowing. Don't build the nest for her...just give her a bale and let her express her instincts. You should see some movement in her belly as she lays still with the little guys moving around. You can put your hand on her belly and feel them moving.

9. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

Any word yet on how she is? Any new babies?

10. VApigLover

VApigLover Well-Known Member

We have a very simular situation here at our place. Our sow we estimated to give birth based on visual bore mating where things should have happened on June 30th, give or take. Nothing happened yet she had that "Piggy" look. Was real disappointed thinking we had one of those false pregnancy deals, but then I realized how stupid I was. The heat cycle can occur from 17 to 24 days (I think), so little did I realize I had left the boar hog with her for quite a while, at least until she had enough of him being around (about a month). So long story short, just this week I am seeing a more pronounce udder enlargment and the vulva is enlarging and I am guessing we are a week or less away from farrowing. So maybe we just incorrectly dated the actual mating of the two (by one heat cycle). Or I hope this is the case! Good luck and I'll let you know how things turn out on this end.

11. Angie

Angie Well-Known Member

Just checked her and she now has milk in all the teats on the right side. She is pretty big (maybe 600-700 lbs.) and very lazy. No nesting or stuff coming out her back end. I also left her in with the boar for awhile when we bred her. Didn't realize the heat cycle lasted that long. I just hope she has them soon cause i'm tired of waiting. I don't see any movement but she is quite large. She is going ona diet before her next litter!

12. VApigLover

VApigLover Well-Known Member

I think I meant to say the time between each cycle is that long, or that they go in heat every 17-24 day's (could be 17-22) or thereabouts. The actual time they are in heat is around 3 days, then they go in heat again 17-24 days later, sorry if I confused things by my poor grammer!
    One of your posts states she was bred on July 3rd, then possibly again on July 11th, which would mean either a heat period lasting seven days (very long) or a very short time between heat cycles, again seven days. Again did not mean to confuse the matter. I think though it won't be long before she farrows, based on what you and the other posters have said.

Another note about putting her on a diet, I think you will find that folks have two opinions, one to control weight to produce better feed intake during the milking phase and the other to let the Sow go the way of mother nature by bulking in up in size so they can lay down longer feeding the piglets without having to get up and feed themselves, downside is the piglets won't grow as fast due to less milk production.

I let my sow control things, I just stand by and watch in case she needs help!

13. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

14. Angie

Angie Well-Known Member

We got babies!!!! She went 18 days later than expected. Must have gotten bred on the heat cycle after the one I thought she got bred on. She had 7 last night and I thought she was done cause the afterbirth was pretty much all the way out and seemed to be staying that way. This morning I found 8!!! Didn't know they would have more after the afterbirth was out. I am worried about 1 baby. See my thread under "I need help with a baby pig problem"