Is my pig going to taste OK?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Laura Workman, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I'm really hoping this pig turns out OK. Several signs point toward horrible tasting pork, and it's our first home-raised pig. I was moving some 3-month-old potbelly piglets yesterday, herding them to another pen, and one had a heart attack (I think) and died. He was about 40 pounds. I hadn't planned to butcher for another couple of months, but didn't just want to dig a hole and bury him. He'd been eating milk, corn, hog grower and beet pulp for the past month or so.

Anyway, for a couple of minutes, he kept looking as though he might make it, but he didn't. As soon as I could see he was dead, I lifted him by the heels and took him back to the house. I had to lay him down for a few seconds to go get a knife, but I laid him head downward. Then I cut into his throat about where you're supposed to and hung him up by his heels again (baling twine through back tendons - I just didn't have a proper gambel setup available, alas). A good bit of blood came out, but not all in a gush. Still, there was quite a bit when he finally stopped dripping. Then, because I was late for work, I skinned him, then gutted him. There was a LOT of wasted fat, which is a shame, but I just couldn't seem to get the technique for getting all the skin and little or no fat. The meat looked clear, no bruises or collected blood. I plan to keep him in the fridge for three or four days before I finish cutting him up.

So is he going to taste awful? (Stressful death, to say the least, and not immediate sticking, heart had stopped.) Does anyone have any suggestions for aging, or further processing? Or should I just cut my losses and bury the lot?

2. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

You have nothing to loose. It sounds like a heart attack because of the way he bled out, it did not spirt cause his heart had stopped. It should taste just fine. I have never had potbelly so I am not sure about that. You can age him a few days or cut him up. He was young so it should be no big deal.

Patty

Enjoy !

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

I predict a fine tasting memory. I'm amazed that you were able to pull it together as well as you did and get the job done. Congrats!

The only thing I'd do different is cut it up as soon as the carcass is cooled. Hogs don't benefit from aging.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Soak the meat in cold water for over night. This will remove the excess blood that did not bleed out. I have a friend that does this to all his venison and I have seen the meat afterward and the flesh is very wholesome appearing even in blood shot areas. I soak bloodshot rabbit and quail in this manner and it works fine.

5. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

My friend hunts pigs on the ranch he caretakes and the animals are always dead by the time he gets to them. The pork is fine ( he takes the 60-80 lb animals) and I also agree with the comments on cutting them up as soon as they are cooled and with soaking the meat. However, I would recommend using a mild brine...about 1% salt for soaking the meat. You also might try skinning from the head down it tends to pull less fat that way.

6. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

no aging, pork rots from the inside out, unlike meats that you age.

7. GRHE

GRHE Mountain Ogre

You should be fine on taste then, but if he was running you might have a bit of lactic acid build up, which can give a game taste, so you may want to consider the soaking or a light marinade soak if you taste any "wild" flavor.

8. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Well, the jury's in! I cut him up tonight and fried a little piece. Whaddaya know? It tasted just like pork! Only really good pork! YUMMY!!! :D So at this point, I consider my potbelly experiment a success! Woohoo!!! :goodjob: