Is my peach tree dying?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by centexguy, May 11, 2005.

1. centexguy

centexguy Well-Known Member

I have a dwarf peach tree that i planted about 10 years ago. In the last few years it has had lots of peaches but this year it budded an then a cold snap came through and killed all the buds,now it has no leaves only dried out tiny buds. Is there anything I can do to help it grow some leaves or is it done for?

2. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

I had an apple tree that did the same thing. I broke off all the dead buds and new leaf buds showed up near them within a couple of weeks. Now the tree is as leafy as the ones that didn't have that problem. I don't know if that will help your peach tree or even if I needed to break off all those dead buds. But I figured breaking off those buds would stimulate new growth if anything would.

3. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i would think theres got to be something you could do to save it , and your crop , i know like harleysmom said, apples will releaf, and so will cherries and plums ... i assume the peach will too....
    maybe a more expereinced southern gardener can help me, i dont know, mine has baby green peaches on it, ive been thinning them off and feeding to the pigs, peach trees are such notorious over bearers , i dont want the branches to snap like it was when we moved here
    Beth

4. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

tree will survive, crop won't. Wait til next year. Watch out for peach tree borers!