Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Turkey Wrangler
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh boy! I just spoke with the butcher about my cow, he says she might be bred..... he says he went to the ranch where we got her from and she was in with a bull. I would rather not have to call in a vet to find out- any tips?
 

·
Turkey Wrangler
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dcross said:
How long since she was in with the bull? Age? Calved before? There's always "bumping".
What is bumping? Jerseygirl, We have had her for about 2 weeks now.
I don't know her age, I don't think she has calved before either...
 

·
Turkey Wrangler
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheribelle said:
When my heifer was not pregnant, she got out constantly. After she was settled she was a model citizen.
hhhmmmm, well, she actually got out yesterday- not her fault, my son left the gate open, she was headed for the woods! dh got her back in tho.
 

·
woolgathering
Joined
·
2,600 Posts
belly will get bigger as will udder and about a month before calving they will start sprining ( swelling in the birth area) and discharging mucus

she will also not go into heat if she is bred if she does go into heat then she isnt
 

·
Turkey Wrangler
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just spoke with the guy I got her from, he isn't sure how old, doesn't remember, got her at auction as a youngun, she has calved before, she is over two years he thinks... says he will look for paperwork for me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
BUMPING: A traditional technique used to detect pregnancy in cows during the latter stage (last four months) of gestation. It is conducted by placing a hand against the right flank of the abdomen and then applying one or more pushes in an attempt to feel the fetus. The accuracy of this technique increases with advancing stage of pregnancy and experience of the tester.Definition from Hurnik et al., 1995.

Based on the two pics(Left vs right) I say preg-o!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,383 Posts
I doubt a ranch would sell a productive young female in this market. Just fatten her up and butcher her. Even if she is bred she was sold for a reason.
 

·
Turkey Wrangler
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tinknal said:
I doubt a ranch would sell a productive young female in this market. Just fatten her up and butcher her. Even if she is bred she was sold for a reason.
She was sold because the ranch owner is liquidating his stock and selling, bought a small farm with just his horses (except one morgan which he gave me)
He is a wealthy man and sold her to me for half market price, barter no less.
I still have to get in there and get a pic for agmantoo. :help:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,383 Posts
A'sta at Hofstead said:
She was sold because the ranch owner is liquidating his stock and selling, bought a small farm with just his horses (except one morgan which he gave me)
He is a wealthy man and sold her to me for half market price, barter no less.
I still have to get in there and get a pic for agmantoo. :help:
What time frame are we talking, and more importantly would you like to keep her if she is bred? If you don't want a calf and the heifer was exposed to the bull recently, and you want to butcher her soon then the breeding really wouldn't have any affect on the meat or the yield. If you wanted to run her on grass and then grain her then you might get a different answer. Basicly we need to know what you want to know...........LOL!
 

·
Turkey Wrangler
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tinknal said:
What time frame are we talking, and more importantly would you like to keep her if she is bred? If you don't want a calf and the heifer was exposed to the bull recently, and you want to butcher her soon then the breeding really wouldn't have any affect on the meat or the yield. If you wanted to run her on grass and then grain her then you might get a different answer. Basicly we need to know what you want to know...........LOL!
I don't believe in cow abortion? I don't know, heck if I can get a free cow, why not let her have it?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,383 Posts
A'sta at Hofstead said:
I don't believe in cow abortion? I don't know, heck if I can get a free cow, why not let her have it?
That is fine, I'm just trying to figure out what YOU want.......LOL

BTW, if the cow was bred within the last 5 months there is not a person in the world who could reliably determine pregnancy via a photo.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top