Is my goat pregnant?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Biskit, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Biskit

Biskit New Member

I have some friends who recently were changing what they were doing on their farm, and offered their favorite Saanan nanny to me if we'd provide a good home to her. Well, we were interested and said yes right away. They agreed to keep her at their place until she gave birth this year as we have no experience with goats giving birth and want to use their knowledge.

They don't have the exact breeding date for her, but she bagged up about 3 weeks ago. Is she ever going to give birth? Her sides at the rear up near her backbone are still hollow...does that indicate anything? Is is possible she just came into milk? She was dried up about 4 months ago.

Ideas?

We're very excited to have her at our place, and have her setup for a date with an Alpine buck towards the end of the year...hopefully we'll get a girl out of that one!

Thanks!

2. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

Yuo should be able to feel the kid inside. Place your open hand on her right side, just behind the ribs. Apply slight pressure. Any lumps or hard knots are a baby.
    steff

3. #1 DogMom

#1 DogMom Well-Known Member

Most of my goats bagged up 3-4 weeks before kidding. I would, also, feel for the kids as recommended by the last poster. I know that it is a very anxious time for you, but try to relax. You can be sure she knows what she's doing. Signs to look for when it's really close is an opaque yellow mucus discharge. When you see this this the first kid should arrive within 30 minutes. Some goats may have a discharge a week or two before they kid, but if it's not an opaque yellowish color it's not for real. Hope this helps.

Leanna

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, she's gonna have twins any day now. They don't make bag without a very good reason, and kids are a very good reason. Might even have triplets, All nannys. You never can tell.

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

:::Yep, she's gonna have twins any day now. They don't make bag without a very good reason, and kids are a very good reason. Might even have triplets, All nannys. You never can tell.:::

Now, with optimism like that, how can it be anything But multiple doelings!
    :)
    Meg