Is my Ewe going to have a baby?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by farmlifeusa, Mar 17, 2005.

1. farmlifeusa

farmlifeusa Active Member

My ewe milk area or teats are huge now. They were not like that last week how close is she from having a baby? Please help! Thanks!!!

2. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

Sometimes days, sometimes months :rolleyes: Mine came into milk six weeks ago, still no baby. This is her first and I tell you her stomach is about to drag the ground. I'm so tired of waiting :)

3. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Has she been shorn? If not, I'd recommend it. Take a look at her flank area...or just above it. She'll start to sink in a bit there as the time aproaches. That said...my older ewe is sinking in now and still has a few weeks left :)

4. decamper

decamper Well-Known Member

Having just experienced my first two lambs I have to chime in here. The Suffolk just gave birth on Tuesday. Her udder wasn't nearly as full as the other ewe's (I-don't-remember-the-breed) udder who gave birth last Thursday so I thought she had a couple of weeks to go. Surprized me when I went out to do the feeding and she is staring at me wide eyed like when she sees a dog running near. I did notice a change in the...:eek: hmmm, how do I say this...backside like the first ewe looked very pink and swollen but the black Suffolk, well, not much change. So not sure if that is because she is Suffolk or that her backside is dark. You say she is huge now, she might have a week or so to go. We watched our first closely after we noticed she was huge and it still took two weeks. In that time, we could see her udder was getting fuller each day. Hopefully, we will learn more with these next two ewes due any day. LOL :haha:

5. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

My barbado is generally black under her tail but she has been pink and swollen for over a month, she must be an exception to every rule :no: