Homesteading Forum banner
41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thanks so much for the respomses!!

Will have to contact DH's employer next week. Problem there is, the woman who did the insurance walked off the job a couple of weeks ago. Guess she got tired of having to do her job, plus the job of the other woman who left almost a year ago.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Why on earth would anyone WANT Medicaid?
Medicaid is totally different than Medicare. Medicaid is for people dependent upon welfare who don't have a job that has medical insurance benefits, or otherwise are unable to obtain insurance.
Medicaid is the bottom of the barrel for health care and many, many doctors will not even accept it as the re-payment rate is so low.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Medicaid or Medicare? Actually if your income on SS is low enough you can qualify for Medicaid.

I've seen the commercials for zero Medicare premiums. Since I probably wouldn't qualify I have not looked into whether this is legit or not.
Those ads most likely mean no premiums beyond what the government already deducts.
Humana is one company that offers those plans. I had one. The choice of doctors was limited. I had a plan that also included vision and dental, which is why I chose that particular plan. Again, the choice of eye doctors, and more importantly, the actual eyeglass providers, was exceedingly slim. In my area the only provider that would accept Humana is Pearle Vision.
Remember the old saying - you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I could be mistaken but it seems the SSA wants to exert whatever control they're able to over as many aspects of our lives as they possibly can.

I'm convinced that most of the bureaucracies ceated to run the country are more interested in self-perpetuation and their own growth.

Sorry - slept in so only had 1 coffee thus far. Perhaps my cynical side needs more caffeine . . .;)

·
Registered
43,395 Posts

Reactions: Pony

·
Registered
349 Posts
seems they signed me up automatically for A&B ( I took my SS at 62 if that made a differince ) . my union insurance becomes my secondary ,covering what medicare won't , & still covering perscriptions so no need for part C . check with his insurance ,and see if like mine they just start becoming your secondary after 65

·
Super Moderator
13,523 Posts
Posted 11/20/22 12:15 AM CST

From what I have heard , the storm we are now seeing with Medicare and Advantage programs trace back to providers and private insurers and Medicare paying insurers to draw retirees away from Part B to lighten the load at Medicare.

Providers don't like Medicare approved amounts and expect patients to have a second 80/20 insurance for 200% coverage of their charges. The days of a worker setting up a payment plan to pay the 20% from their overtime pay of course ends when they retire.

Retirees who retain employer insurance with their pensions usually can afford Part B premium and their employer insurance premium that also covers medications. They budget on what their social security and retirement pension and investments provide after paying their premiums for Part B and their employer insurance.

Retirees without employer continued insurance often find the premium and out of pocket charges of Part C Advantage programs too expensive and have to limit what treatments they choose.

Social Security still only has a burial benefit that hasn't been adjusted in over 70 years and over the past few decades Medicare has taken steps to reduce the number of their clients as more providers unwilling to accept qualified payments decline Medicare payments and Part C providers draw in clients not seeing all the fine print.

·
Premium Member
34,246 Posts
Why on earth would anyone WANT Medicaid?
Medicaid is totally different than Medicare. Medicaid is for people dependent upon welfare who don't have a job that has medical insurance benefits, or otherwise are unable to obtain insurance.
Medicaid is the bottom of the barrel for health care and many, many doctors will not even accept it as the re-payment rate is so low.
This depends highly on your location. If you live near a big city you will find many doctors that accept Medicaid and nearly all hospitals accept Medicaid patients. There are different Medicare/Medicaid plans and different plans have different participating providers.

I know a few people that had big health issues taken care of through Medicaid.

·
Premium Member
34,246 Posts
@Forcast, if your income is low enough you can get a Medicare/Medicaid plan. The type of plan varies from state to state. Ohio has several plans through different companies (similar to the different Medicare Advantage plans). I don't know about other states, only how it's done in Ohio. You can choose plans that cover different doctors, hospitals, dentists, optometrists and medication formularies. Some have those extra benefits like health care items and groceries. By going with a different plan you get better service and more choices for medical providers.

Ok, I just looked it up and in Ohio it is called managed care. The plans are offered by insurance companies like Humana, Anthem and Aetna. You have to enroll through the Medicaid online portal.

But most of the time the billing departments for doctors offices and hospitals do not look at the insurance card close enough to see that it is a Medicare/Medicaid plan so you end up spending hours on the phone disputing bills. Last year I spent several hours helping someone with a doctor's office that kept refusing to submit their bills properly. That was a nightmare!

·
Registered
20,282 Posts
This is really good stuff. I have been lately looking into Medicare but I have about 10 years to go before I have to sign up. Thanks all for the info. Gives me a lot to look into.

·
Premium Member
34,246 Posts
Right around your 64th birthday your mailbox will be packed with ads from various insurance companies wanting you to choose their plan. They don't seem to accept that you still have a year before you can sign up and they don't tell you their plans will be changing before you can sign up.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Right around your 64th birthday your mailbox will be packed with ads from various insurance companies wanting you to choose their plan. They don't seem to accept that you still have a year before you can sign up and they don't tell you their plans will be changing before you can sign up.
That is so true.

Even after you get Medicare, at this time of year the mailbox gets stuffed with Medicare stuff.

·
Premium Member
22,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Have to say that it totally grates my cheese that they double, treble, and quadruple dip into my money.

Grrr....

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
18,203 Posts
Have to say that it totally grates my cheese that they double, treble, and quadruple dip into my money.

Grrr....
Except that Medicare recipients on average get back much more than they put in. For example, the heart procedure I had cost about $60k and I expect to need another in 5-10 years (if I am still around).

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
@Pony, you must realize you were paying into Medicare Part A from your paychecks. That's why it doesn't cost extra. Part B is optional and up to you on whether you want to accept it or not. That's the one that comes out of your SS each month.

·
Expect the unexpected
2,623 Posts
Can someone explain this to me.....

I just looked at a old paycheck of mine.
SS comes out separate and Medicare came out separate.

So when I get my SS check, the part for the Medicare ( $ 170 ) comes off
the top of it first and goes to my health insurance company. I then get the
balance of the SS money. When I have a medical claim, my insurance
company gets billed for it. I get the co pay part to pay. I don't have
any other additional insurances to supplement.

So I understand there is a Part A....and a part B....
but when I see my insurance statement after a claim.......
.there is no breakdown of what went where.

So where does the money for the medicare that came out of my paycheck,
when I was working......
on a separate line, where did that go ?
Because now we are paying again for our Medicare coverage.....correct ?
Or is this the Part A......and how does it apply to a bill ?

r i

41 - 60 of 105 Posts